Wet Door Windows

Started by Anonymous, May 4, 2004, 12:23

Anonymous

Everytime I wash the car or it rains heavily I have the problem that for the next couple of days whenever I put down the windows they come back up covered in wet stripe marks.

This is especially annoying when I've justed wash it. As I did on Sunday then went out topless.
You spend hours making it look showroom standard then put the windows down to drop the top, then put the windows up covered in wet stripes   s:x :x s:x  

It's worse on the drivers side than the passenger side.
Does everybody suffer with this complaint  s:?: :?: s:?:
It worries me that the inner door stays wet for a couple of days, I'm think rust  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I noticed the exact same thing this weekend, checking to make sure drains at bottom of door are not blocked may help.

GSB

Mines done it since the day I bought it, despite checking drains and making sure water is free to run out.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

MRMike

Yep mine is the same..I find if I put Autoglym Glass polish on, then the streaks dissapear faster and don't mark the window
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Seems to be a characteristic then, cos I get it too. Mind you, BOTH my Mk1's used to do it too. I don't think it is too much to worry about. I just think that it might be the top seals getting a little wet, thats all. If any large amount of water did get into the door cavity itself, it SHOULD drain out if the holes are clear.....

zud

My (MX5-driving) mate swears by Rain-ex.  That should disperse the water quickly and evenly, so might avoid those lines (I get the same).

I tried rain-ex on my Alfa, and seem to remember it was pretty good, but it made things worse after a while, if you didn't reapply it... and I didn't wash the Alfa anywhere near as often as my '2, so I gave up on it.  I'll give it a go next time I wash the '2 and post again.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

heathstimpson

I get it and also use Rainex to try and help  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

filcee

I get it, and it is bloody annoying.  I haven't tried Rainex, although I used to use it a lot on my other cars.  Water just does not 'stick' to the glass when it has been treated, though you need to re-apply it about once a month.  To be honest, I'm wary of using it on the '2.  On my old MX-3 you really didn't need wipers, or to drop side windows to clear the glass. Just drive down the road and let the breeze do the work. In fact I barely used the wipers at all - kind of fun going up the motorway at the legal limit, in proper rain, and still being able to see with the wipers on their lowest intermittent setting.  The worry with the '2 - top down - is that Rainex is so good, all that water would climb over the top of the windscreen/side windows and end up in my lap!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

SteveJ

Quote from: "filcee"The worry with the '2 - top down - is that Rainex is so good, all that water would climb over the top of the windscreen/side windows and end up in my lap!

A little tip with RainEx - don't apply it to the top 1/3 of the side windows - that way the water tends to run to the back of the glass before dripping off rather than going over the top.

As far as the screen is concerned the water just gets pulled straight over the top - in fact not using the wipers helps the side windows too as the water never gets pushed to the side of the screen - double bonus!

filcee

Thanks, Steve - I guess you must use it all the time.

Right, car needs a clean and the weather is likley to be cr*p for the next week.  Good time to try this out!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: