Lambda Sensor, Bank 1, Sensor 1

Started by steph_p, September 16, 2012, 16:18

steph_p

Hi,

Im brand new to the forum, first post, so please bear with me   s:) :) s:)  

I've searched thorugh the forum but cant find the answers I need. I'm a complete novice!

Engine light is on and took the car to Kwik fit, told that I need a new Lambda sensor, bank 1 sensor 1. Which sensor is this? I've got really confused with the pre-cat, post-cat? Also looked on Europarts and they have rear and front??? Which one do I need?

Where abouts is this located in the engine? Is it a big job to change myself? (novice)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Steph

AckersMR2

Info i copied from elsewhere on here  s;) ;) s;)

"Seems to be some confusion here as to which o2 sensor is which as far as I can tell from the technical information I have, there are three lambda (o2) sensors on the roadster (UK). The DTC codes and descriptions are as follows:

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the top, pre-cat sensor on the right hand side of the manifold (when you are standing at the back of the car looking forward with the engine in front of you)
DTC Codes:
P0135 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction(Bank 1 Sensor 1),
P0130 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1Sensor 1)
P0133 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the top, pre-cat sensor on the left hand side of the manifold (when you are standing at the back of the car looking forward with the engine in front of you)
DTC Codes:
P0155 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction(Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0150 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0153 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the post cat sensor accessible from the bottom of the car just after the main cat. And by the way is a be-ach to get out.
DTC Codes:
P0141 Oxygen Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction(Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0136 Oxygen Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)"

You can do it yourself but you'll need a O2 oxygen sensor socket and possibly a can of PlusGas in case their a little stubborn?

Do a search for O2 or oxygen sensors should find you all the info you need.

Also I dont know what Kwikfit charged you to read the code but you can buy your own cheaply or look at the OBD reader thread and someone near you might have one you can use  s;) ;) s;)

Welcome along
My only car is a Ducati 

The Zohan

^^^Brilliant, thanks for that. s:) :) s:)
2000 Roadster in blue, Hardtop, KYB struts, EBC Greenstuff, Chassis brace and Toyo Proxies.
Could do with a little more power...or could just lose some weight....

AmeR

If you're over Blackpool way before Thursday this week I have an OBD code reader, O2 socket and a couple of spare O2s if it can be of use.

Either way, the info above will help you. 2 banks - Manifold and exhaust. If you have an import, it narrows it down as they don't have the exhaust one.

Hope you get it sorted.

steph_p

Thanks for the replies, really helpful info  :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the offer AmeR, unfortunetly for me I'm the opposite way for the a few weeks with work!

Considering getting a OBD reader, seen them on ebay for around £15 so might aswell buy one.

My last question is does anyone know which of the below I need, front or rear? Or can anyone reccommend a good place to buy the sensor?

Thanks for the replies, really helpful info  :-) :-) :-)

Thanks for the kind offer AmeR, unfortunetly for me I'm the opposite way for the a few weeks with work!

Considering getting a OBD reader, seen them on ebay for around £15 so might aswell buy one.

My last question is does anyone know whether its a front or rear sensor  I need? Looking on Europarts and they have fornt and rear, about £70 each, which seems alot!? Or can anyone reccommend a good place to buy the sensor?

Thanks

Steph

MisterK

Quote from: "steph_p"Thanks for the replies, really helpful info  :-) :-) :-)

about £70 each, which seems alot!? Thanks

Steph
Just thank your lucky stars it's not Bank 1 sensor 2, the post cat sensor.  Mine had to be heated up with a flame torch as it had seized and then a new tap cut to accept the new sensor which came in at £170!!

Welcome along and hope you get it sorted soon.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "steph_p"My last question is does anyone know which of the below I need, front or rear? Or can anyone reccommend a good place to buy the sensor?

Front   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
But thet're both the same sensor ... the wire is just longer on the "Back" sensor, so don't worry too much.
Sparkplugs.co.uk are very reliable and price isn't offensive.

QuoteFRONT Sensor
Part Number DOX-0204
Price (£) Each £49.44

Wire Length 360mm

QuoteREAR Sensor
Part Number DOX-0206
Price (£) Each £49.44

Wire Length 850mm

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: