SMT actuator failure!

Started by mph, May 25, 2004, 13:14

mph

Oh dear   s:( :( s:(   And guess what? A week out of warrantee   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Apparently part T33960-0W011 has "failed". A new part is supposed to be £1,000 + fitting (2.5hrs) + vat.  Luckily Jap GT300 has spare parts in stock for much less - thanks Adam!

Until I get over there I can't be sure, but I'm going to suspect that this could be attributed to the uprated pressure-plate and clutch. Watch out turbo guys   s:? :? s:?
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

I almost told you to go to Toyota to nag about it failing a week after warranty ends...but then I remembered what you have down there  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Quote from: "mph"I'm going to suspect that this could be attributed to the uprated pressure-plate and clutch. Watch out turbo guys   s:? :? s:?

I always thought that stiffer stuff must cause some extra stress/wear somewhere. With manual it's pretty much just your foot, but SMT has to use some "extra power" to operate the stiffstuff  s:? :? s:?

Good thing you'll get it sorted for less, £1000 sounds WAY too much  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Whats failed? Seals blown? It could be thats its something as simple as a blown O-ring, so in theory you could repair it and keep it "in stock" for any future calamities.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

DAZ400

Ooops sorry to here that Martin. Something for me to worry about no doubt in the future, think I will start looking around for a third party system to replace the Toyota one, how hard can it be to push the clutch in automatically and shift a gear. Might have to design one myself if I can't find one.........   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

mph

Quote from: "GSB"Whats failed? Seals blown? It could be thats its something as simple as a blown O-ring, so in theory you could repair it and keep it "in stock" for any future calamities.
Quite possibly, but unfortunately I can't get the garage and only get to talk to some muppet of a service manager that doesn't know anything about our cars.

DAZ: once I can get my mitts on the actual part then we can at least diagnose the cause and whether it was pressure-plate related or not.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

mph

Quick update: Still at garage. Still not fixed.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Managed to talk to techie mechanic guy. It's apparently running fine but occasionally throws a P1880 code. This is pointing to the either HPU pressure sensor or HPU motor relay. The sensor's already been replaced, the relay is on order and will be fitted tomorrow.

Techie's guess of the original problem is that the sensor/relay failed causing the pump to run, if not continuously, for rather longer than it should have, subsequently causing the GSA to fail under the extra pressure.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

Martin when they changed my clutch and flywhell the setup worked and re-learned first time after they removed cleaned and re-greased the linkages as it would be new in the factory and it was all ok.

Bear this in mind for latter during the setup phase.......   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

mph

I phoned up this afternoon as I hadn't hadn't the courtesy to give me an update only to find out they don't think they can get this relay until the 16th. When were they going to tell me?? Further, they haven't offered any solution to getting me otherwise mobile as I have to have a car for this Friday. This is not the level of service I expect from a Toyota dealership  s:x :x s:x
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

DAZ400

It is the level I useually got plus grief all the time from the sh!t of a service manager over you have modded the car etc......

Wise man say, have low expectations and you shall not be disapointed.

mph

Having replaced the HPU relay (£33   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) everything appears to be running fine. I have not yet retrieved the broken relay/GSA for inspection yet.

However, I also asked them to do a 40,000 mile service.  They:

* did not check wipers blades (/adequately). The driver's wiper was split along the centre section.
* logged the spare tyre as "checked" and "new space saver" - interesting considering it's 25 miles away at home.
* did not replace coolant as per service spec.
* did not replace in central locking as per service spec.
* did not do perform 4-wheel alignment check as per service spec.
* logged brake pads as 'green'/'ok'. The have 2-3mm left on them. I had explicitly ordered new pads as I considered them requiring immediate replacement.
* did not check, flush nor change brake fluid. It was returned with the fluid at the minimum mark. While this is not part of the service per se, I had explicitly stated this should be flushed & replaced; I had provided replacement fluid to use.
* attempted to charge me for oil when I had supplied my own.

on the plus side:

* gave 10% discount on labour and in-stock parts.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

crankshaft

Martin;

Who is this dealer ???

This surely is a case for watchdog (is it still running ??)

Pete Cruickshank
2001 SMT - Pete

mph

Loders, Salisbury. The matter has been brought to the attention of the service manager and after-sales manager there. Coincidentially, Loders Customer Care Centre called (based in Dorchester) to see if the service went well. They don't normally have direct contact with Salisbury, and were, up until that point unaware of the level of service that had been provided. Poor girl had a slightly longer than expected report to type up.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

mph

Update: they have collected the car, completed the work that they originally missed and dropped it back, charging for the labour for the coolant change, minus 10%.
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S

Tags: