Anyone considered a diffuser?

Started by Chris, May 26, 2004, 13:51

Chris

In all the recent talk about getting more airflow and sealing off the engine bay, it occured to me that the biggest hole to the outside is the bottom of the engine.   The thinking being that assuming that suitable mounting points can be found, then a sheet of metal could be attached to form a floor, and a scoop of some kind could be attached to the leading edge, to collect air rushing underneath.  It may even aid stability, groud effect style, by helping to create a smoother airflow path underneath?   s8) 8) s8)    s:?: :?: s:?:  

I know that a few people have had no luck in getting extra air from vacuum tubes angled downwards, but presumably it wouldn't be hard to create a scoop the width of the underside and then get it funnel up to either the standard filter location or to the ppe location.

The only thing that occurs to me as a problem would be if the enclosing the engine keeps all the heat in and actually raises temps!
(that and the fact that any screws dropped wouldn't come out the bottom!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  )
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

heathstimpson

I would have thought that it would make the engine bay heat up too much and that there would be more restriction with the flow through the area.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

<Mechanical womble mode on so no flaming>

Would it not be easier to scoop from the top of the engine bay lid as it is already enclosed there   s:?: :?: s:?:  

<Mechanical womble mode off, but still no flaming>

Tem

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"<Mechanical womble mode on so no flaming>

Would it not be easier to scoop from the top of the engine bay lid as it is already enclosed there   s:?: :?: s:?:  

<Mechanical womble mode off, but still no flaming>

NO!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

The air flows outwards through the lid and you don't want to force it in the other direction. Many have tried this on the earlier models and it just doesn't work...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

TTE have done just this (the scoop under the car, although not the full width of the car) to get air-flow through the air-air intercooler for the turbo kit and also to encourage more air-flow through the engine bay. This has been enhanced by a fan mounted in the engine lid to draw air out.

Oh and by the way, take a look at the nappy fitted to the car - it already has slots in the front edge to encourage air into the engine bay  s:!: :!: s:!:

Chris

Cool, so I wasn't too far off the mark, just a little late!!    s:) :) s:)    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Do you reckon the scoop would be available seperately from the turbo kit?  Presumably it should be able to be ordered via it's part number...
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Cool, so I wasn't too far off the mark, just a little late!!    s:) :) s:)    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Do you reckon the scoopt would be available seperately from the turbo kit?  Presumably it should be able to be ordered via it's part number

Yes, I would be interessed.

SteveJ, see if you can "give" them( TTE) that idea.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris

It would the cleanest solution in my book.  I just can't decide if the c-one style vents are good or not:

sure they are functional but they spoil the clean lines imo...
[size=100]
[/size]

MRMike

Quote from: "Chris"I know that a few people have had no luck in getting extra air from vacuum tubes angled downwards, but presumably it wouldn't be hard to create a scoop the width of the underside and then get it funnel up to either the standard filter location or to the ppe location.

Chris I thought about this I was going to get a plastic funnel fabbed...   m http://www.mr2roc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... ght=filter m

And I changed my mind after looking to see if there was a clear path, I think it's going to be a real problem to get any funnel to position with the stock location, and provide any meaningful airflow.  Hmm....
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

juansolo

The car doesn't run low enough for a diffuser to have any real effect.  You need to run far lower than you can on a road car and also ideally have a flat bottomed car for ground effect to actually work.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Chris

Yeah, I realise that it needs to be flat, hence the idea of mounting a plate over the back part to create a smoother air flow path...

I've got the TTE springs coming my way soon, so maybe that wil do...
I saw Johnny's eRise at anglesey and that kinda gave me the idea - anyone know the respective ride heights of a mk1 elise compared to a mk3 '2?
[size=100]
[/size]

juansolo

[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: