Anyone *consistently* broken standard gearboxes?

Started by stupink, November 18, 2012, 16:50

stupink

Essentially I'm trying to suss out if i replace the gearbox now, before it breaks, and/or just leave it and if it breaks replace with another standard or consider upgrade.

So has anyone had an engine strong enough that you simply munched gearboxes in a few months? so i dont mean it broke once and that may have been caused by the extra power or it could have been going anyway.

mines a 2001 uk, low miles if i recall its about 38k.

so what torque/hp was your engine running if you did have problems, and what happened? stripped teeth? failed casing, bearings.. etc..  s:) :) s:)

I'm aware pub figures of 240lbft as a "max safe", but I'd like to hear actual experiences  s:) :) s:)
2001 1ZZ turbo. 293hp home build all the way

dj2k21

I will let you know within the next month. I'm going to kill my gearbox off just to see what it will take

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

stupink

Be keen to hear your feedback, when it breaks and you're not expecting it, its easy to get paranoid, but if you try to break something, you get a better idea of how strong it is  s:D :D s:D

dj2k21

Yeah I'm planning on maxing the turbo as I've not been able to yet for the exact gearbox reason but with the mk2 box going in I'm not bothered about ruining it

[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

stupink

mk2 turbo is what i'll be looking at also. but its a now or later thing. just aware its quite a big change, dont mind fabbing the mounts and linkages and conversion plate for bellhousing, but im a little grey on what the shaft solution is, and i can't really be affording a new clutch and flywheel etc right now on top of the box, i'd rather get it slowly over time piece by piece.

loadswine

I think Jason ( muffdan) had a bit of an appetite for boxes until he upgraded to something stronger on his , now deceased, old car. The dyno printout I last saw for it had a big lump of torque churned out in the mid range, peaking at about 280 lbft. It is possible that he was running even more than that, as it was often being tweaked. The onset of torque on that curve was almost vertical. It was either second or third in his boxes that appeared to have chocolate qualities, if I remember anywhere near right.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dj2k21

Just buy the full conversion from mwr.  Works out about £2k  plus a mk2 box but much easier than measuring dimensions for custom shafts and things

stupink

I saw the conversion kit, but think its a lot of money for what it is. im happy to just fabricate bits, and you still need the clutch/fly on top of the kit iirc..  I dont mean expensive for what it is as in out priced, i just think 2k for a gearbox conversion is too much, i can buy a lot of oem boxes for that  s:) :) s:)

Cheers mr wine, i will have a look at his profile if i can find it, i only want to get the car a similar performance as my last, then im happy, that was 400hp but quite heavy, so im thinking 300hp should be okay in the 2, meaning i need about 250lbft, but i also want it drivable, so will be making the torque flat an linear so it emulates a N/A vehicle.. hopefully that will help a lot..  s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Yep, I think that's a good approach. A nice linear power curve and a flat torque curve without lumps or spikes will help massively.
Can't wait to see how it turns out. good luck with it.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

With that sort of torque curve and power the gearbox might be able to take that.

dj2k21

The best tuned turbo cars feel n.a. that's what my tuner says anyways.  I think we should have a turbo 2 meet one time

onion86

Wait for me to get mine back  s:) :) s:)
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dj2k21

Good luck with it mate. Hope it makes you giggle like mine does to me  s:) :) s:)

ChrisGB

What engine build are you running? 250lb/ft may be pushing stock con rods to or beyond their limit. As for the box, you could try the Jubu Racing replacement 3rd / 4th gear sets for the C6X series boxes.

I know of failure of input bearings with people running stock engines as well as turbos, but the gear failures tend to be 3rd and 4th stripping. Always a good idea to treat the box well by letting it warm up thoroughly before giving it serious stick too.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: