Alloy wheels advice?

Started by Paulm280885, November 25, 2012, 00:56

Paulm280885

Hi guys
Looking to get theses for my 2 does any one have theses ? Do you think I will get any rubbing and what do you think as performance ? I'm no race driver lol

Paulm280885

Lol forgot to post the link  m http://www.rimstyle.com/alloywheels/det ... 7.50#bawtp m

dj2k21

I manage with 18's and I'm lowered 70mm so you will be fine

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

AmeR

Quote from: "dj2k21"I manage with 18's and I'm lowered 70mm so you will be fine

I think that's probably a bit of skewed advice due to the modifications to your car.

OP, assuming your 2 is of standard shape (ie. not wide bodied like dj's) then you should be fine running 17s given that you maintain the stagger and rolling radius on the tyres. Plenty about running 17s on these cars, even lowered.

The link doesn't appear to have the offset listed on there though which will be your main concern around rubbing etc. as for performance, so long as they're not halfords grade heavy alloys then you're performance shouldn't be too adversely affected.

*edit*
Also, try looking here -  l viewtopic.php?t=9911 l  for reviews on alloys that have been / are being run on people's 2s.

dj2k21

Well making it widebodied doesn't affect the height of the wheel arch though . When I was trial fitting the kit the wheels I have still fit the car without the wide body I just couldn't get full lock on the steering and that was on a standard car and lowered 70mm all round. The arches on our cars are deceptive to be honest. I've seen a few round here with 17's and they still look like they need lowering a foot lol

[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Wabbitkilla

Depending on the offset these wheels will probably be fine, just need careful selection of tyres to maintain stagger. Though people who have fitted 17" on the front have found they needed to modify the front wheel arch liners with a heat gun to get turning clearance.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

That's certainly what Silverstone Performance ( as was) did with the arch liners when I had SP12s ( similar to Pro race 1.2s ) fitted by them a few years back. Liked those wheels a lot. I've seen one or two cars fitted with 17s need a bit of heat gun work on the front arch liners.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

roger

Quote from: "loadswine"That's certainly what Silverstone Performance ( as was) did with the arch liners when I had SP12s ( similar to Pro race 1.2s ) fitted by them a few years back. Liked those wheels a lot. I've seen one or two cars fitted with 17s need a bit of heat gun work on the front arch liners.

I would go as far as saying these are the SP12s, based on the info we have. SP offered 7"/7.5" and 7.5"/8" options, and IIRC practically everybody went for the latter. Your choice, of course.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Paulm280885

So what should the offset be and I'll find out what they are and your saying I should go for 7.5" front and 8" rear wouldn't  that be to wider tyre just don't want any rubbing and really not interested in altering my arches

Anonymous

18's on a standard car will be heavy and ruin the cars performance, so you will need to have more power. Plus they will rub, my suggestion is to have a 17 at max but best is 15 front 16 rear or 16 all round.

roger

Quote from: "Paulm280885"So what should the offset be and I'll find out what they are and your saying I should go for 7.5" front and 8" rear wouldn't  that be to wider tyre just don't want any rubbing and really not interested in altering my arches

Yes the optimum tyre for that is 205/40 and 245/35. ET +45/+50. Personally I think the wider rears look great, and rubber on the road always helps   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Mine don't rub, but that might be the heat gun adjustment on fitting.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Russel Nash

One the same tack, I have an opportunity to buy a refurbed set of Millia miglia 5 spoke alloy wheels 7 x 17 ET37 4 x 100 pcd up my neck of the woods.
Can anyone advise if these wheels would be suitable and if so, the best sizes for tyres. I have an 03 stock with 30mm lowered.
Cheers

Wabbitkilla

From experience you won't have any problems at the back of the car, these match ny current back wheel dimensions. Nearest available tyre size is 215x40/17, it is a larger rolling radius and you will lose some acceleration. The ideal tyre for rolling radius is 225x35/17, but that size is rare and 215 is the official max width on a 7" rim.
17" is pretty big fir the front of our cars and will likely need some heat gun modification ti the arch liner, sorry I couldn't sat what size tyre will be best.

Getting matched tyres front and back will be the tricky bit. The min tyre width for a 7" rim is 195, even then it looks a little stretched.

Sent from a planet somewhere nearby
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Russel Nash

Thanks for the advice, I saw this as a opportunity to change my alloys on a budget but I don't realy want to compromise handling and certailly dont want to mod the arch liners just to make them fit. To that end I am back looking at 16'' Rota Grids or similar but as I want to keep a decent staggar, getting a 6 or 6.5 for the fronts is proving a little difficult. Any further advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Wabbitkilla

Bigger alloys is never the "budget option"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   though not necessarily huge expense.

If you look at E's car in the "Show your wheels thread"  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9911&start=90 l  he's got the ideal sizes on there for cost of tyres and size availability. The Rota's aren't really that expensive from any of the online stores at the moment ... ok they're over £100 per wheel, but really you're getting a darned good wheel for that price when you consider the finish and weight of them. Though I do object to £12 each for the centre caps   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rota Grids are being worn by several cars around here now, and Rote have a wide selection of sizes available with various offsets.  (Can you tell I've been doing some research here?). You can feasibly do 16" all round with 7" rims as that allows you to fit 195 width tyres ate the front and 225 at the back (I hasten to add this isn't what the tyre manufacturers recommend but a few others, including myself, have and do run 225x40/16 tyres at the back without issue. This size tyre does marginally drop the rolling radius at the back. That size can be bought cheaper than the original size tyres and provides a bit of entertaining acceleration, 215x40/16 is in my opinion a little too small radius ... great for rapid acceleration but it drops the car too low... unless of course you have adjust-ability in the suspension to raise the car up again, and then the arch gap starts looking pretty wide.

Tags: