Mother of all interior rattles...

Started by fstsven, June 4, 2004, 19:36

fstsven

That's exactly what I got now...    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I know it isn't a quiet car, but this is too much    s:( :( s:(  
It's a high frequency, loud ticking/slapping sound, coming from the "passenger area"  (sorry, I can't be more precise as I'm unable to hunt it down    s:x :x s:x  ).   It sounds a bit like a wire slapping against something.  It's presumably not the known "airbag wire rattle", since that has been cured, and it's definately not coming from the roof.    
At first I suspected the wire under the seat for the 'seatbelt blinker' function, but I taped that in place and it's not that either.  I have also tried to push against any dashboard and (passenger   s:!: :!: s:!:   not easy) door panel while driving: nothing...  It's there all the time, even when driving over perfectly smooth roads, and IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:     s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Anyone recognize this?
Thanx in advance!   Greetz
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

no idea mate, ive got a squeak underneath the drivers seat that squeakes everytime you push back into the chair

crankshaft

I had something similar, it went on for weeks, I had the glovebox out and was convinced that it was coming from the airbag area behind the dashboard, sounded like a thin metal bracket vibrating against a panel and it was VERY LOUD.

I could not believe what was the cause, absolutely nowhere near the dashboard..............one of the screws had fallen out of the left hand visor mount and it was rattling - amazing, I could swear it came from the dashboard !!

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

fstsven

I just checked the visor mounts, but they seem to be fine...    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
My search goes on...    s:( :( s:(  
Thanx anyway    s:) :) s:)
Greetz
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

THEMOSS

Good luck in your quest mate, I've given up with the noises in the cabin of my '2!! It just seems to be one of those things with this car. I'd always read how well Toyota's are put together......
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Anonymous

Here is the list of TSB's:
 m http://www.planetkc.com/rande/tsb/tsb.htm m

There is one specific TSB on rattles in 2000, and some of it still applies since they come from use of the car... Make sure you go over it since it has 10 different issues in that single TSB....

Anonymous

I had a similar rattle; this solution did the trick for me:

Look in the far left hand side of the passenger dash near the corner of the windscreen -(where the tax disc is located) and you will see where the dash meets the plastic panel (the one that is underneath the windscreen). These two panels were striking and causing the rattle. I pushed some black cloth between the glass of the windscreen and the plastic, and that stopped the rattle. IE. The part of plastic that touched the glass, vertically under your tax disc. I hope that helps.

fstsven

We don't have a tax disc over here, but I can see what you're talking about.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
I'll give it a try, then...
Thanx
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

I had the weirdest rattle experience myself a month ago. I could have sworn it came from the roof/windscreen-light or something nearby. It was driving me nuts. After a week, I removed all the change from the ashtray (I had eventually got my AutoPASS QFree chip up and running) - rattle gone.

Lars J

Anonymous

I had a rattle the other week - It was the the passenger seat rubbing on the compartment door behind it. All i did was tilt it up slightly and bingo, sorted. Failing that turn the tunes up louder!!

Darth Paul

Does the sound happen when the top is up or down? I've got a slapping sound that only appears when I'm in the car by myself and when the top is down and I'm travelling at speed. It took me ages to track it down, but track it down I did!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

It is the unused passenger seatbelt flapping in the wind.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Really bloody noisy.

heathstimpson

I thought you were going to say it was your hand on some birds rump Darth  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Does it rattle when a passenger is with you? If not perhaps its from the seat. If so, get them to check for the source whilst you drive, door trim, glovebox, other trim. Where do they think the sound comes from, maybe its more your side (sounds travel strange in cars).

fstsven

It's (still) there all the time, passenger or not...    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

My girlfriend has listened for it and confirmed that it came from the passenger side, like something is loose inside the door    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

But I'm a bit concerned about removing the door panel, as I think it could be a case of stopping one rattle and , in the process, causing several others...   s:? :? s:?  

My solution: ignoring it    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
3.ORACING breastplate
25 kgs extra lightness

Tags: