New Hood

Started by Anonymous, June 8, 2004, 09:02

Anonymous

My car has always had a relatively minor problem when erecting the hood. The side part that covers the passenger side window doesn't seat properly, and where it should 'drop' into the rubber channel, it 'nips' the rubber gutter and sometimes sits on the outside, rather than the inside of the rubber.

Difficult to explain without pictures!

I have to sit across the passenger seat and guide the roof into place, whilst erecting it, by leaning out of the passenger window!  Hardly glamorous!

Mr T has had many goes at fixing, as have I, but without success.

Service manager has now offered to fit a replacement hood under warranty....

My problem is that I am not wanting any other problems as a result of the change of hood......is it a straight forward switch, or does it involve aspects that could cause me other problems?

I haven't been that impressed with Mr T's abilities, to date, and worry that they will do a hash job!

My existing problem is fairly trivial and it seems a bit of a risk just to fix it.

Any thoughts or experiences......

Andrew.

markiii

I would class changing teh hood as more difficult than changing teh engine.

If you saw whats involved in teh BGB it's a nightmare. Add the fact that very few techs have ever done one, and it's effectively a case of them following the manual a step ata time.

It's not a case of unbolt one jhood bolt in the next you actually have to build the hood from it's component arts in situ.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "amr2"My car has always had a relatively minor problem when erecting the hood. The side part that covers the passenger side window doesn't seat properly, and where it should 'drop' into the rubber channel, it 'nips' the rubber gutter and sometimes sits on the outside, rather than the inside of the rubber.

Difficult to explain without pictures!

I had that issue...in the long run it will break the rubber sealing, so you should get it fixed. Toyota fixed mine under warranty, don't know any details what they did though  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I had mine replaced by Toyota when someone threw a brick through the rear window. They had to subcontract to a professional fitter and never been right since. Part of the lining keeps coming away form the frame and the rubber seals stick out the side rather than lying flat   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

It seems a pretty tricky job!

dave

Anonymous

Thanks chaps for your comments......much as I had feared!

I really want the hood right but not at the expense of other issues.

I think I will persevere with my friendly service manager, and see if he cant get advise from somewhere else.....

Think I will delay the new hood for a while............

Hopefully it will be staying down a lot in the next few months!

Andrew

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Thought I better put in a positive comment about hood replacement.

I had a A1 hood on mine from new, but I got a couple of small tear marks and they agreed that it should be replaced to avoid complication in the future.

They had the car for a whole day.

It was a little stiff when i got it back and they also forgot about my hardtop wire connection for the rear window, but it was soon sorted by a different tech.

Since fitting I have been very impressed, it was a little stiff to start with, not a stright throw back, but over time and with a little heat (AKA today) it works as good as the first one.

The dealer who did mine was Lister - Toyota - Lincoln, so I would recommend having it done.

Hope this also helps.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

I had mine changed under warrenty a few months ago, and it's absolutely perfect: no stiffness, no dodgy sealing, just 100% (as it should be).

kanujunkie

i had this exact problem when i first got mine.

This is my fix. When putting the hood up i have to put the left catch on first, otherwise it nips the seal on the right causing an awful noise
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "ekona"I had mine changed under warrenty a few months ago, and it's absolutely perfect: no stiffness, no dodgy sealing, just 100% (as it should be).
Me too.  The replacement hood they fitted on mine (after I complained about the 'ears'!) is fine and have not had any probs with it whatsoever (touch wood)

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

spyderman

what if i tell you that i did the replacement of the soft top by myself, its been 8 months now, no probs, just the problem that amr2 mentions, but on the drivers side, but only once every blue moon....
As you set out for Ithaka
hope your road is a long one,
full of adventure, full of discovery. Cyclops,
angry Poseidon - don\'t be afraid of them.you\'ll never find things like that one on your way
as long as you keep your thoughts raised high

-SOT-

kanujunkie

i'd say, boody well done, can't be an easy job
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

dancarbon

I've just had my roof replaced as the dealer managed to split it (I daren't ask how) when changing the door seals because of rain coming in the drivers window.

Unfortunately the new roof bangs against the roll over hoops to a point where it won't go down fully and the drivers door still leaks  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Here we go again...
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

heathstimpson

Started to fold my hood tonight and the rear windown just shattered half way down. I have had problems with ears jamming and rattles etc but cannot understand why it just suddenly went. I had nothing in the storage bins and it was very clean as I spend ages doing a all over job for JAE. Where do I stand with Toyota regarding having it sorted out under warrenty  s:?: :?: s:?:  I'm gutted as I know the whole roof has got to be done and it probably won't be right again  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  And how long does it take  s:?: :?: s:?:  I'm dreading not having the car for weeks now  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

subject to having all the parts I'd say at least a day possibly 2.

I would seriouslt recomend asking the techs whether they have ever fitted a hood before? If one has make sure it's him that does it. They don't do many roof swaps and you don't want them learning on your car becaUSE IT'S A VERY COMPLICATED PROCEEDURE.

in theory if they won't warranty cover it your windscreen insurance should. though don't expect them to be pleased when Mr T tells them it's a new roof at £2000 job.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

I just cannot figure why it would suddently just shatter; is it just coincidence that this was the first time I've used it since JAE  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

MRMike

Sorry to hear about your roof,

My mate's Boxster's glass window broke, and he had it repaired by this guy for a fraction of the cost it would have cost at Porsche.  Did a great job as well.

m http://www.southboundtrimmers.com/ m

Might not be much help, but i noticed that there is a portion of vinyl that could be removed and restitched
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I just cannot figure why it would suddently just shatter; is it just coincidence that this was the first time I've used it since JAE  s:?: :?: s:?:

There has been a few similar cases on SC, where the glass just breakes into pieces with no real reason. IIRC, they were all covered under warranty.

I think they can just glue the new glass in there without the need of changing the full top.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: