Finding/picking a local garage

Started by AndyM, March 4, 2013, 17:39

AndyM

Hi,

Looks like I'm going to have to get my leaky caliper looked at sooner (next couple of days) rather than later (the weekend) as not only do I not want to have a crash, the alloy seems to be suffering from the fluid   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

As such I need to find a local mechanic.

Unfortunately since I moved to the area I've been on a service plan with the dealer of my old car (a Ford) and all my local mates are similarly dealer-bound with their cars. That means I have no recommendations/basis for picking a decent garage which won't mess me (or my '2   s:!: :!: s:!:  ) around.

Does anyone know if any of the garage search engines are particularly reliable (there seem to be a few different ones)? Or, by some miracle, does anyone know a good mechanic around the Ellesmere Port/Liverpool Airport area?

Cheers,
Andy
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

If im honest, i went to Steven Eagel toyota for 2 years... bloody waste of my time! would strongly reccomend an independant garage near your house... just start calling around, see what they sound like on the phone.. i phoned one company up, and they answered the call saying "yeah.....?"  -.-

I have found a beauty of a garage near where i live, cheap and VERY honest (e.g. i had some work done one the car and they actually told me it was cheaper and charged me less, happened with my sister too!)

So ring around asking for quotes and speak to them, look out for things like courtasy car etc.

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj vinxy"I have found a beauty of a garage near where i live, cheap and VERY honest (e.g. i had some work done one the car and they actually told me it was cheaper and charged me less, happened with my sister too!)

nothing better than knowing someone hasnt ripped you off.. plus would be more benifical to them too as i take it you will go back there and also reccomend the garage to others..

"its like that homeless man in USA when that woman dropped her engagement ring in his hat whilst giving him some change.. she went back and he gave her the ring back worth something like $5,000..now they have raised something like $300,000 for him.. "
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Anonymous

Yep, although i cant prove it... but i believe Toyota didnt change all the filters they promised they would in the service which leads me to believe they also didnt change other things!

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj vinxy"Yep, although i cant prove it... but i believe Toyota didnt change all the filters they promised they would in the service which leads me to believe they also didnt change other things!

thats the only thing.. finding a decent garage or having the know how is the key to happy motoring
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

AndyM

Cheers chaps. Pulled a few family strings (future in-laws) and got some details of the a garage some of the family have used for several years. Popped in today and he seemed like a nice chap (proper independent little garage) but unfortunately the earliest he can look at my car to diagnose what needs doing is next Tuesday and then he's away until the 18th!

However, I literally just found out at lunch that a mechanic that a couple of colleagues have used has just left his previous 'expensive' garage to setup his own business and it's about 2 minutes from my office. Going to give him a call now but apparently he's pretty good too, fingers crossed.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

Dont forget to let us know how you get on, for the benefit of all in the area that is.
I have found Crane Bank Garage by Tesco on the trading estate to be sympathetic with older cars.

Anonymous

Dont forget to let us know how you get on, for the benefit of all in the area that is.
I have found Crane Bank Garage by Tesco on the trading estate to be sympathetic with older cars.  s:D :D s:D

Tags: