Amp in Frunk anyone?

Started by stargazer30, April 6, 2013, 20:40

stargazer30

Anyone done it or tried it?  

I've been toying with the idea when I upgrade to a JL 4ch amp.  To me it seems a no brainer as it means;
* I can ditch the spare to keep the overall weight lower, but keep weight up front over the wheels to avoid effecting the handling.  
* Shorter wire runs
* Keep the rear bin for storage

Is there a risk of water or too much condensation getting in there? Any major probs getting the cables through the bulk head?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

dj2k21

Not in a roadster but I know a lad near me whos done it in his mk2. No issues so far.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

JiMR2

Personally wouldn't fancy losing the spare tyre.

Took my frunk hinge lid off years ago and never found water in there... Others may have though... Could turn spare upside down and use a big ol tupper ware box to mount around the amp just in case  s;) ;) s;)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

stargazer30

Quote from: "JiMR2"Personally wouldn't fancy losing the spare tyre.

Most newer cars don't have them anyway.  Just carry a compressor and foam, lighter.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

JiMR2

Call me old school  s;) ;) s;)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

AmeR

Quote from: "stargazer30"Most newer cars don't have them anyway.  Just carry a compressor and foam, lighter.

This isn't a new car.

I do recall reading about this somewhere on the forum but can't for the life of me remember whether it was referencing the idea or their experience!?
Do you still have your Frunk lid? If so, you could always add some rubber to it to create a seal and some silicone around any of the bolt holes inside to minimise any risk? Don't know if it would work but some ideas to hopefully help  s:) :) s:)

mrzwei

Quote from: "stargazer30"* I can ditch the spare to keep the overall weight lower, but keep weight up front over the wheels to avoid effecting the handling.  

That would be the key point for me because you don't want the front to be relatively lighter than it was before. It would make the front end even lighter at speed.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

stargazer30

Right I had a look today and this looks feasible.

The front of the frunk with the wheel out is a nice flat slope.  The frunk cover is lipped so no water should get in that way.  Any water off the wind screen would get onto the back of the frunk.  

So the idea would be to mount a slightly spaced/raised back board onto the front frunk and mount the amp to it and the alarm.  Since the whole frunk bucket part comes out it should be easy to build the base onto it in the shed   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Weight
The spare wheel is about 11kg so to keep the weight correct I am thinking..
JL Amp 3.5kg
MR2 Toolit 3.5kg
Compressor and foam -  about 1.5kg
Backboard/wiring 1kg
Total 9.5kg - thats pretty close.  

The bit I'm not sure on is getting the wiring into the cabin.  I need to take the frunk plastics out to check that......

AmeR

There are a couple of grommets that you can piggyback through

Tags: