Wheel offset query.

Started by ChrisGB, April 30, 2013, 22:32

ChrisGB

My stock wheels are looking really scabby so I am thinking of replacing with something lighter. Rota Slipstream look like a good idea. I would like some 8" rims at the back to give the 225/45R16 tyres less pinch. Problem is that the 8" rims only come with a 34mm offset. The effect of this is to increase rear track by 22mm.

So questions... Will they clear the arches OK? What short of effect on handing would be expected? My take on it is that wider rear track will slightly reduce effective roll stiffness, which I like the idea of, but I don't usually faff about with wheels so not sure what to expect handling wise.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Wabbitkilla

37 offset had my OZ wheels quite flush with the arches, no catching though and they are 17" rims.
I would only be able to guess but 34 may be a bit too extreme.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"37 offset had my OZ wheels quite flush with the arches, no catching though and they are 17" rims.
I would only be able to guess but 34 may be a bit too extreme.

What width / height rubber was on them?
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Wabbitkilla

17x17 et 37
215x40r17

I would have preferred 225x35r17 but high on impossible to get matched to the front 16's.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Diameters are nominally the same but with ET 34 I am going to be around 6mm wider. Going to be close for sure.

Chris

AllanE

I have 8x16 ET35 on the back (but with 205/45 tyres) and lowered (coilovers), no problem.
I can get the front to rub though...

Anonymous

Chris you planning on upping the tyre width?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Chris you planning on upping the tyre width?

I am keeping to 225/45R16. The 7" rim pinches them quite a bit, so going to an 8" rim should give me a similar effect to going slightly wider.

Chris

Tags: