How light is your steering

Started by trevsmr2, May 8, 2013, 18:31

trevsmr2

As above ,my steering is especially light ,slightest movement on the wheel results in movement to the car ,making for a nervous drive sometimes
its the same with the after-market wheels ,and the factory fitted wheels ,its got tein lowering springs fitted ,but no other alterations to the set up
drop-links have recently been changed
I had the alignment done last year at ding day , didn't make any difference ,so just wondered if it could be anything else before i try another alignment ,or get some different shocks ,the car has done 120,00 after all,so is probably due a refurb anyway

steve b

Isn't it caster angle that determines weight of steering, is caster adjustable on he roadster?  My MX5 Tony at WIM said making alterations would make the steering feel better on my old MX5 and it did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

mrzwei

Castor is built in to help self centring of the steering and to reduce wandering around but I doubt that it's easily adjustable on the 2.

Other things to check are correct front tyre pressures, state of the treads, all of the other stuff said about tyres on here, is the spare still in the 'frunk', are the spoilers under the front still there, is the front suspension, particularly the shocks, in good nick?
If all of that is ok then a lowered car will generate better downforce.

EDIT:  On posting this the red in my sig reminded me that I've just replaced the front shocks on my Z; it wandered around a lot but the new shocks transformed it. Eliminate the easy stuff before spending money though and maybe try someone else's car if you can.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

OldMan

Caster is not adjustable, unless aftermarket 'pillow block's have been fitted.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Tags: