Has anyone used this turbo kit?

Started by Pavett1990, May 13, 2013, 19:55

Pavett1990

Quote from: "AmeR"The more power you push from the engine, the more you decrease the life of components.

All Turbo'd 2s need more checking / maintenance than a normal 2, so beat that in mind. However, for daily drivability / reliability, the TTE seems to be the choice kit - fast spool, nice increase in BHP and torque without going crazy. You won't see 250 though. For that you'll be looking at some of the other kits or custom.

Kits that I have heard of are:
TTE
HASS
C2
Top Secret
Apexi
PPE

All different, and most people have changed / added stuff to each one for varying reasons. DJ and Rich have made a good point for going custom, meaning you can select the best bits from varying sources, but none of this is useful until you've nailed down exactly what you're after.

Early days and you're doing the right thing by not rushing in to it.

Thanks for the info mate I will definitely look into the different makes you've just mentioned.. I'm not going to rush into this as this is a big decision for me.. So it will be done properly.. Plus my dad is really anal about things I do to the car  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  so he will want it done perfectly any way haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

stargazer30

Quote from: "Pavett1990"Well my car is on around 73k so changing the chain may as well happen whilst the work is being complete.. But yeah a complete service will be due around that time anyway so again that's something iv already factored into this time scale iv given myself :.: I think 250bhp would be more than enough for myself I'd more than likely run a lower boost at first to get used to things then look to increase I'm assuming 10-12psi is ok?

On stock internals I think 10psi is the max IIRC. Its a NA engine so a little boost goes a long way.  250bhp makes for a very fast roadster, the sweet spot seems to be 200bhp. Maybe have switchable maps 200bhp and 250bhp as 250bhp in the winter is going to be handful since our cars have no traction or stability control.

Oh the TTE is not underpowerd.  I have one and have run 200bhp and 230bhp SP turbo kit.  The TTE pulls power higher up the rev range but makes a boat load of torgue lower down the rev range.  It feels faster that the 200bhp kit I had even though it isn't.

Last thing remember you'll need an uprated clutch no matter what kit you go with.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Anonymous

If spits was too quick then the a gt25 at normal running or a gt28 just ticking over would be your options. Both will produce 200 - 210 BHP, however the gt28 would leave you the option of turning up the power if you did want more. Just one comment is the max boost I would put on a stock engine is 10psi. Mine is only 4 psi at the moment and that level of power on mine can line your underware.

AmeR

Quote from: "Pavett1990"Thanks for the info mate I will definitely look into the different makes you've just mentioned.. I'm not going to rush into this as this is a big decision for me.. So it will be done properly.. Plus my dad is really anal about things I do to the car :.: so he will want it done perfectly any way haha

Have a look at my build thread and Ste's C2 one (there plenty more about, they're just the 2 that come to mind). They should give you an idea of the level of effort involved in a DIY install. DIY installs are all down to preference and how comfortable you feel at doing it.

As SG says, the TTE turbo isn't one to dismiss. It's a great little unit and really does transform the car without going crazy.

However, there's a few of us running 12psi on stock internals but you're up around the 270bhp mark, often referred to as the limit on these cars. If your top aim is 250, you'll see less. We tend to be the ones not using our car as dailys too though.

dj2k21

Just to build on whst stargazer has said there. If you go for a link ecu you will have traction and launch control  s:) :) s:)  

But agreed as a daily 250 would be the max I had tbh. Dont be concerned about "pub figured" .... oh my mate has 500bhp in his skyline etc etc the roadster is one of the lightest cars around nowadays so power to weight is the main factor and even with 200 - 250 you will have the ability on track to make much bigger cars look very silly indeed  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Pavett1990

250 would be the max I would aim for 200 would be a good starting point for me

Pavett1990

Also launch control would be cool and is a turbo timer recommended?

onion86

Here's mine for another idea on installing (C2)  l viewtopic.php?p=320064 l . I'll be doing it again within a few months when I can be arsed, I have been saying that for over a year though  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

dj2k21

Quote from: "Pavett1990"Also launch control would be cool and is a turbo timer recommended?

Wouldnt bother with a turbo timer mate there just for people too lazy to wait 30 seconds before turning off the car. Launch control is cool but its not really for the streets haha.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

AmeR

Quote from: "dj2k21"
Quote from: "Pavett1990"Also launch control would be cool and is a turbo timer recommended?

Wouldnt bother with a turbo timer mate there just for people too lazy to wait 30 seconds before turning off the car. Launch control is cool but its not really for the streets haha.

I'm sure I read that insurance companies aren't a big fan of turbo timers!? My mate has one on his Skyline and half the time, he doesn't use it. I usually just took the last bit of the journey easy and let it rest on the drive 30 seconds before switching off and getting out.

dj2k21

Yeah mate same as remote start really the insurance dont like it. My car has remote start but I normally use that to turn it on in my garage and I let it warm up before getting in it. Never do it when its on the drive etc

Pavett1990

Right I see ok so a no on the turbo timer lol.. Thanks for all your input guys I'm sure I wouldn't mind a few if you tracking over to good old South Wales when I get parts to help with install  s;) ;) s;)  

Pavett1990

Saying that if someone wants to help I'm happy to pay for fuel and even pay for a hotel and feed you lol offers out there guys  s;) ;) s;)  

dj2k21

Were all here to help mate. Should of asked for a spin in mine mate. Would of been happy to take you out.

Pavett1990

Like I said mate I didn't want to be running around everyone first time meeting most and asking for a spin.. Didn't want to be cheeky to be honest.. You need to come to japshow

dj2k21

Haha if im off work I might well do buddy. Have u given any thought to brakes and suspension upgrades before turbo?

Pavett1990

I think it will all be done the same time.. I can do the brakes and suspension it's the turbo ill be needing a hand with lol.. Any reccomedation to the brake kit?

AmeR

Pay my flight and accommodation and I'll muck in on an install  s:D :D s:D

I took several weeks of weekends and week nights doing mine as I lumped in lots of other jobs too. There's plenty of things that you might consider doing whilst stuff is apart.

Pavett1990

I'm sure a flight from oz plus hotel plus food would cost more than putting it in a garage  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  thanks tho mate  s;) ;) s;)  

Is there anything you particularly recommend doing whilst all apart?

AmeR

Clean EVERYTHING (consider painting too) before shoving stuff on top
Plan out exactly where everything is going
Do test fits more than once
Double check and do some maintenance work (if necessary) on the cross member
Plan to buy items that you may not have considered. Stuff will be discovered and its worth doing something about it then rather than later

Probably lots more but that should get you thinking  s:) :) s:)

Pavett1990

Yea brilliant thanks alot.. I'm not going to rush into it this will be done properly I'd rather wait and do it properly than do it and have issues lol

dj2k21

Just to echo what amer has said really. You will no doubt set a budget but dont skimp on things to try and fit within that budget. With brakes aside from a big brake conversion which would eat your budget I think braided brake lines, a full fluid flush and some Carbotech pads will be your best bet and not brake the bank. Standard discs are pretty good to be honest.  Suspension and bracing will also be your friend along with uprated anti roll bars, not essential but will add to the overall transformation,  the car is actually a whole lot quicker in real world terms just for adding the bracing and brakes.

AckersMR2

So Ash, just out of interest I seem to remember something you said a few weeks ago on a thread about possible 2 replacements, and I quote:

Quote from: "Pavett1990"its something i will look into but not for another couple of years yet.. (trying to save for mortgage deposit) :.: plus I'm loving life in the '2 haha

How's that coming along and I assume you've budgeted your turbo install into that?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

AndyM

Quote from: "AckersMR2"So Ash, just out of interest I seem to remember something you said a few weeks ago on a thread about possible 2 replacements, and I quote:

Quote from: "Pavett1990"its something i will look into but not for another couple of years yet.. (trying to save for mortgage deposit) :.: plus I'm loving life in the '2 haha

How's that coming along and I assume you've budgeted your turbo install into that?  :.:  :.:  :.:

Surely it's all about priorities? If push comes to shove you can sleep in a '2 but you certainly can't drive a house.  s;) ;) s;)  Go with the Turbo.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Pavett1990

Yeah we are saving for a mortgage but the missus has given me the go ahead to do the turbo kit first  s:D :D s:D  

Tags: