Has anyone used this turbo kit?

Started by Pavett1990, May 13, 2013, 19:55

Pavett1990

Hey guys I'm looking for a turbo kit for my car..

Iv heard about the C2, Hass and TTE turbos but I'm struggling to find them online and after a bit of research iv seen the TTE turbo is underpowered but overpriced?

Iv come across this turbo kit online which is relatively priced (I think) but not 100% sure. I'd like to see what you guys think or even if any of you have fitted one?

m https://m.turbokits.com/Toyota/MR2_Spyd ... /#galleria m

Thanks guys

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Anonymous

Looking at the $700 for the upgrade to a gt28rs then I would say the turbo would be a cheapy so probably not going to be the best system. But as DJ has said, with a bit of playing a diy turbo can be done for a similar price. My turbo build including mapping I did for about £3.5k - 4k.

Pavett1990

Could it be worth buying bits separately or buying a full kit?

loadswine

That kit is a kind of derivation of the Haas kit, by the looks of things.
I'd agree with Rich on the cost aspect. Don't discount the TTE power levels, its all very useable power and hits a bit of a sweet spot for the Roadster.
If going the DIY components route, you need to have a clear idea of what you are after , and how to get there. Open wallet surgery usually accompanies a lot of turbo builds!  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

If your willing to take your time and not scared of a spanner for me it would be buy the bits and build yourself. I had a few stressful points in my build but I did it. And if I was asked would I do it all over again my answer would always be yes, as I learnt so much from it plus the added fact of knowing I did it myself.

Pavett1990

Quote from: "loadswine"That kit is a kind of derivation of the Haas kit, by the looks of things.
I'd agree with Rich on the cost aspect. Don't discount the TTE power levels, its all very useable power and hits a bit of a sweet spot for the Roadster.
If going the DIY components route, you need to have a clear idea of what you are after , and how to get there. Open wallet surgery usually accompanies a lot of turbo builds!  s;) ;) s;)

Lol.. I can imagine.. To be honest I want to pull all the info off all your fabulous minds to get an idea of what I want.. Then save between now and may next year and hopefully fit it by June  s:D :D s:D

Quote from: "rbuckingham"If your willing to take your time and not scared of a spanner for me it would be buy the bits and build yourself. I had a few stressful points in my build but I did it. And if I was asked would I do it all over again my answer would always be yes, as I learnt so much from it plus the added fact of knowing I did it myself.

Brilliant I'd love to get it done myself but I know I'd probably miss key things lol.. I'm hoping to compile a list of what I need then go about buying it.. For a novice at mechanics id have help from a mechanic mate if give myself a month to have it fitted.. Are there any "how to" available for fitting turbo kits?

dj2k21

Couldn't agree more with what bucks has said there, diy kit you will get more for your money, a gt28rs is a great turbo to use, fast spool reliable and will give u plenty of power. If you let us know your budget and what kind of power you are after im sure we could guide you on a diy kit  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Pavett1990

Well I'm hoping to save around 3k

loadswine

The reference section has at least one turbo installation manual in there.

Pavett1990

Cool ill have a look.. So were saying no on that turbo kit yeah? Lol

Anonymous

In the technical section there is a pdf of a PE turbo install, which mine is a hybrid of. If you want a chat over the phone don't mind talking you through the build yourself method just pm me your number.

Pavett1990

No problem mate that would be awesome..

dj2k21

I think for 3k you could be on to a half decent kit mate.
Turbo
Chargecooler
Injectors
Ecu
Turbo manifold

The rest is basically pipework and wiring.  Depending how complex you want to make it
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

loadswine

Before committing to this Ash, you need to bear in mind that the more modified the car gets, the more you may need to tweak and sort little foibles and problems out. These aren't really fit and forget. That is the beauty of the TTE kit, in particular.
You also have to be more aware in the wet, for example. These things can be super fun, but can bite hard if you are not ready for it.

Pavett1990

Good news  s;) ;) s;)  haha.. So were recommending the garret ball bearing gt28? Or gt28rs?

Any Ecus, chargecoolers? FMIC? recommended? Sorry about all the questions

Quote from: "loadswine"Before committing to this Ash, you need to bear in mind that the more modified the car gets, the more you may need to tweak and sort little foibles and problems out. These aren't really fit and forget. That is the beauty of the TTE kit, in particular.
You also have to be more aware in the wet, for example. These things can be super fun, but can bite hard if you are not ready for it.

Yea completely understand would it be worth say saving 3.5k putting 2k for turbo kit and say 1.5k for an engine rebuild before hand?

Yea I understand about the precautions, breaks, suspension etc will be upgraded..

I am leaning towards having the car as a weekend/summer car

dj2k21

Go gt28rs mate, you dont want to go fmic on a rear engined car mate best to chargecool it. Ecu I have a personal preference for link. The g4 is my weapon of choice but a used g3 will work fine and link will kindly upgrade the firmware to g4 for about £100  s:) :) s:)
I did a lot of testing and fitting before deciding on my build. Giving your car engine a good service and doing the bearings and belts would be recommended and something I would do. Aslong as you service it regularly, I do mine every 2k but I guess every 5k would be fine it's just mine stands alot as I dont use it too often. Pipework and silicone hoses are pretty cheap.

Pavett1990

Thanks for the info mate will def start looking into this and writing up my wish list.. Especially as a service kit is only around £50 that's nothing really

dj2k21

Yeah no worries.  Any info you want etc just give me a shout and I will help where I can  s:) :) s:)

AmeR

It seems that you haven't got a clear end target for this. A Turbo'd Roadster can be in various guises. I think you need to carefully think of what you want from the car once it is done, eg. Drivability, raw power, max BHP from the engine etc etc. They all come at various prices and can require different bits to be purchased.

Without an end game, you run the risk of getting swamped with all the Turbo info on here.

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj2k21"Yeah no worries.  Any info you want etc just give me a shout and I will help where I can  s:) :) s:)

Thanks pal.. Would you recommend spending 2k on a turbo kit and having a rebuild on engine so I know it's all ok before I start?

Quote from: "AmeR"It seems that you haven't got a clear end target for this. A Turbo'd Roadster can be in various guises. I think you need to carefully think of what you want from the car once it is done, eg. Drivability, raw power, max BHP from the engine etc etc. They all come at various prices and can require different bits to be purchased.

Without an end game, you run the risk of getting swamped with all the Turbo info on here.

I see what you mean.. I'm not 100% decided on whether I will keep car as weekend/summer or remain as a daily drive.. So I'd like a half decent increase but not so much to ruin practicality

dj2k21

If I were you i would give it a compression test, if that checks out fine then you might as well do the bearings and the auxiliary belt. Depending in mileage you could do timing chain and tensioner too. Then a full fluid change and you should be good to go.

If your keeping internals stock I wouldn't go for much above 250bhp but that is almost double stock power anyways so you will enjoy it alot.  s:) :) s:)

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj2k21"If I were you i would give it a compression test, if that checks out fine then you might as well do the bearings and the auxiliary belt. Depending in mileage you could do timing chain and tensioner too. Then a full fluid change and you should be good to go.

If your keeping internals stock I wouldn't go for much above 250bhp but that is almost double stock power anyways so you will enjoy it alot.  s:) :) s:)

Well my car is on around 73k so changing the chain may as well happen whilst the work is being complete.. But yeah a complete service will be due around that time anyway so again that's something iv already factored into this time scale iv given myself  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I think 250bhp would be more than enough for myself I'd more than likely run a lower boost at first to get used to things then look to increase I'm assuming 10-12psi is ok?

loadswine

Before deciding on the level of oomph you need, get a ride in a few. Ding day would have been ideal for this, as there were probably a few turbos there. I'd have taken you for a blast in mine if you had asked.  s;) ;) s;)

AmeR

The more power you push from the engine, the more you decrease the life of components.

All Turbo'd 2s need more checking / maintenance than a normal 2, so beat that in mind. However, for daily drivability / reliability, the TTE seems to be the choice kit - fast spool, nice increase in BHP and torque without going crazy. You won't see 250 though. For that you'll be looking at some of the other kits or custom.

Kits that I have heard of are:
TTE
HASS
C2
Top Secret
Apexi
PPE

All different, and most people have changed / added stuff to each one for varying reasons. DJ and Rich have made a good point for going custom, meaning you can select the best bits from varying sources, but none of this is useful until you've nailed down exactly what you're after.

Early days and you're doing the right thing by not rushing in to it.

Pavett1990

Well I did go for a blast in spits.. Very quick.. To quick for a starter lol.. I didn't want to be cheeky and ask everyone for a spin to be honest.. I'm sure I can get a few to agree on japshow haha  s;) ;) s;)  any of you coming?

Tags: