Ariel issues!

Started by ty222, May 22, 2013, 11:45

ty222

Hi troop ive just fitted a new after market radio to my car,the problem is eveytime its on the ariel comes up....i dont want it to as i do hate the ariel and oly ever use aux anyway,is there any way to stop it?

nathanMR2

You can cut into a wire on the rear of the stereo (light blue I think) and add a switch. You can also wire it to your window disable button and use this in place of an addition switch
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

ty222

thats great thanks, sounds easy enough anyway think i will try and add a switch on the light blue wire and see how it goes.

nathanMR2

Just make sure you test it with a volt meter to make sure you have the correct one

nathanMR2

Also be aware that my current aftermarket Kenwood stereo uses the same blue cable to activate the aerial as well as my amp remote lead. So if you intend to use a amp at any stage you might want to cut into the aerial cable its self if it has the same setup on your head unit

onion86

As you've not said what brand it is, with Sony's if you turn the 'AF' function off it stops the aerial from coming up unless the radio is on. This has worked with 3 different Sony stereos I've had on 2 different '2s (my new one has a single TA/AF button and I have to have them both set to off for it to work).

I'm sure this must work on some other brands but I know it doesn't work on them all, worth at least trying that first if you have the option.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

venomizer

I have a Sony too (BTX-4000U), and in the manual it says the same, that the aerial won't go up if AF and TA or off, but it never worked on mine - the aerial was always up when the unit was on, regardless of what audio source I had selected and even with AF/TA off. I ended up just re-wiring the power aerial wire through to the window disable switch as others have mentioned.

onion86

My current one is an MEX-BT3900U (do you mean MEX-BT4000U?) so I can't see how it wouldn't work being that close to mine  s:? :? s:?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

venomizer

Quote from: "onion86"My current one is an MEX-BT3900U (do you mean MEX-BT4000U?) so I can't see how it wouldn't work being that close to mine  s:? :? s:?

Yeah that's the one   s:P :P s:P  

I think it might be a fault with mine. The manual says it's supposed to do what you said, but it just doesn't. I've even had the multimeter out to check the power aerial pin coming out of the back of the HU and it always has +12V on it whilst the HU is on, regardless of mode. Pretty sure it must be a fault. I emailed Sony but they wanted me to send it off to some repairer with the advise that if nothing wrong was found, I would have to pay for it... No thanks (considering it was such a specific and minute problem). Ended up just doing the passenger window switch mod.

swampy_donkey

I'm having the same troubles guys, just fitted a pioneer deh4400bt and the aerial isn't playing ball. It's all wired up and tested with the voltmeter, just doesn't come up. Drat.
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

no1trancefan

is it the black wire for the aerial? think it neds a rocker switch as the window lock switch looks like plastic casing will get damaged if prise that open

Tags: