Engine starter button

Started by redarrow, July 4, 2013, 01:10

redarrow

What the best starter button to use on a mr2 roadster pre.

I found a article before i had my car two years ago
About a starter button design for the roadster
But it gone know so what shall i use any ideas please?

Would be nice to have one where you push
The button and once the engine runs the
Button it self deactivates untill engines turned
On agin but that a dream anyone ? I wish.

Personaly a starter button should turn on
Afther the car key is in on postion , then the button lights up
And then You press it , and it delays for 2 sec and then starts the engine, once
Engine running then the button turns it self of ,and the
Button light goes out , but if the engine ruining the
Button wont crank or be able to do anythink untill
The engine turned of or been stalled.

Regards john redarrow
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Pavett1990

I'd love a push start button.. Keep me updated please  s:D :D s:D
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

markiii

Why not go the whole hog and fit a cranking handle
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Dev produced an easy install kit a few years ago for $200. I think it was discontinued, but he may be able to provide you with some more info.

[youtube:1x0xztdm]dOrSYszIq28[/youtube:1x0xztdm]

[moved to electrical]
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

dcod

Quote from: "markiii"Why not go the whole hog and fit a cranking handle

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Here's a matching steering wheel ...

and horn.

Joking aside ... I don't know what it is about starter buttons ... but I like them.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Joesson

Try Google - "push button starter kit"
ebay have them from around £10 and Halfords on line offer a Richmond kit at around £35.
I'm thinking this need to be in the console between the seats.

redarrow

Quote from: "spit"Dev produced an easy install kit a few years ago for $200. I think it was discontinued, but he may be able to provide you with some more info.

[youtube:3nq1t24f]dOrSYszIq28[/youtube:3nq1t24f]

[moved to electrical]

What i want and it got the intelegent cheeking if the car already on,
and works nice ... Dev help lol
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

StuC

Is it me or does it seem a little pointless having a key and starter button so close together?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Flipside

I agree, it's kind of cool, but better if the car was keyless and you just pressed the button like on some cars.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

StuC

Yup, that's the win right there!  s;-) ;-) s;-)

I am sure that the USA cars were keyless or it least there is a conversion to be keyless. Something like that anyway!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

tomaky

Hmm still think for example my mums 11 plate mini they still require to push the key in the dash, has they advanced it so you don't even have to insert the key? If they haven't its as you say the next big winner  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Flipside

Maybe not then, keyless entry exists so could be the  next thing, soon it will be thumb print or voice recognition, or Eye scan?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Jay67

How about one in the gear knob? Very Jimmy Bond  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

tomaky

Hehe could well be  s:) :) s:)  can imagine the gear nob wiring being fun hehe  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Jay67

yeah i wouldn't fancy it lasting too long either...i'm still tempted  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Dev

It's good to see some of you appreciate the start button I made long ago. This was probably the most challenging project I had made to date and I believe I sold over 30 units all of which are still working without any issue.  

There were a few factory cars like the S2k that still had you insert a key before starting so this is no different..  Anyone can retrofit a push button start but what I did  was make it a soft touch start which only required one push and the car would crank on it's own until the motor started.  Some with electronics knowledge may say big deal and they could get one working but what they don't realize,  the real challenge is making it reliable and easy to install.  

I could have made the button an engine kill switch as well however because of liability reasons I did not take that chance in case someone got into an accident and blamed me for the fact that the switch malfunctioned and stalled the car while driving.

Very challenging and cool  but mostly a novelty so I stopped making them because I could no longer get Toyota start buttons cheap enough to make them affordable.

tomaky

Aii  s:) :) s:)  work mate of mine bought one from halfrauds along time ago he never fitted it i could see gear nob being a nitrous button hehe inner fast and furious watcher coming out in me haha
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

redarrow

Quote from: "Dev"It's good to see some of you appreciate the start button I made long ago. This was probably the most challenging project I had made to date and I believe I sold over 30 units all of which are still working without any issue.  

There were a few factory cars like the S2k that still had you insert a key before starting so this is no different..  Anyone can retrofit a push button start but what I did  was make it a soft touch start which only required one push and the car would crank on it's own until the motor started.  Some with electronics knowledge may say big deal and they could get one working but what they don't realize,  the real challenge is making it reliable and easy to install.  

I could have made the button an engine kill switch as well however because of liability reasons I did not take that chance in case someone got into an accident and blamed me for the fact that the switch malfunctioned and stalled the car while driving.

Very challenging and cool  but mostly a novelty so I stopped making them because I could no longer get Toyota start buttons cheap enough to make them affordable.

You starter button was fantastic any chance getting a secound hand one,
Or getting one made up is there any chance a quote even for a one off.

What abut you realising the delay and engine on
Cheeking so we can use any starter button of ebay set to add it onto?

All the best and cheers your work is geate.

All the best redarrow/ john

Maybe a group buy to see intreast agin,
I dont no i just want one.

Dev

Quote from: "redarrow"
Quote from: "Dev"It's good to see some of you appreciate the start button I made long ago. This was probably the most challenging project I had made to date and I believe I sold over 30 units all of which are still working without any issue.  

You starter button was fantastic any chance getting a secound hand one,
Or getting one made up is there any chance a quote even for a one off.

What abut you realising the delay and engine on
Cheeking so we can use any starter button of ebay set to add it onto?

All the best and cheers your work is geate.

All the best redarrow/ john

Maybe a group buy to see intreast agin,
I dont no i just want one.

I'm pretty much done with anymore as I would not pull enough numbers to make it worth it If I started another GB. I also felt that I did not make much profit for the amount of time spent sourcing and assembly but at the time it was a labor of love as an enthusiast because I really wanted one. Projects like this need to be mass-produced  to be any benefit so hopefully someone else will make them.  Oddly enough I lost all of my notes so someone will have to take apart one unit to see what I have done.
 I have seen some of the second hand units come up for sale from time to time from totaled cars so you might get lucky.  It wouldn't hurt to ask if someone wouldn't mind giving up theirs.

K1D

Still have mine uninstalled on a shelf in the garage. Only tested it to verify it works.

Didn't keep it installed as I haven't had the time to make it keyless.

Dev I'm still waiting for you to do the switch for auto open/close of both windows :p

Dev

Quote from: "K1D"Still have mine uninstalled on a shelf in the garage. Only tested it to verify it works.

Didn't keep it installed as I haven't had the time to make it keyless.

Dev I'm still waiting for you to do the switch for auto open/close of both windows :p

I decided not to pursue the open/close of both windows because some critics pointed out to me that the modules I would be using would be cheap to buy and I would be charging too much despite the initial interest.
     What I was offering at the time was a modified module with all  supplied wiring, hardware and DVD installation instructions. Oddly enough you would think because it was revealed that I would make profit no one to date has pursued a do it yourself option to save them some money. If I started again now these critics would show up again and this project would be killed once more. For that reason I have abandoned the idea.

redarrow

K1d you dont need that starter sitting on
A garage shelf but i do need it what your price???

Cash awaiting

Regards redarrow.

Dev
I was going to do the auto window up when door closed
and lock on, i found The moudles in uk very very cheap but i noticed
The wires are all diffrent or the same color so
I got lost , but i no there is intreast in having that
Idea implemented.

Ppl keep telling me that alarm,s got them built in
But i want it as a mod not a full alarm system.

Why not help us all out and you do
a how to , to help all those who wants
 this mod fitted.

Cost you nothink just tell us how to and correct wires
And correct moudle that it. A Off and on button encase not
needed to be used. Go on dev you no your the best come on dev

Dev

Quote from: "redarrow"K1d you dont need that starter sitting on
A garage shelf but i do need it what your price???

Cash awaiting

Regards redarrow.

Dev
I was going to do the auto window up when door closed
and lock on, i found The moudles in uk very very cheap but i noticed
The wires are all diffrent or the same color so
I got lost , but i no there is intreast in having that
Idea implemented.

Ppl keep telling me that alarm,s got them built in
But i want it as a mod not a full alarm system.

Why not help us all out and you do
a how to , to help all those who wants
 this mod fitted.

Cost you nothink just tell us how to and correct wires
And correct moudle that it. A Off and on button encase not
needed to be used. Go on dev you no your the best come on dev

I'm flattered but unfortunately I am no longer in the mood. You are right  that  people don't see the difference between the alarm module and the dedicated window up down switch.
I was modifying the up down module to work independent of the ignition switch so you would be able to put up and put down both windows simultaneously using one switch that you could mount where an existing dummy switch panel or above near the overhead light switch.  The switch would have also worked with the ignition off so you could put up your top with ease.
                    What I should have done at the time was go though with it despite the negative critics to show it working but I was discouraged with the lack of interest and moved on to something else thinking that someone else would do it on the cheap.
                  Deciphering the wires and knowing how to implement the external diodes was a little tricky but we got it to work on a test bench, too bad we never installed it in a working car.

K1D

As I said, I'm not looking to sell the on/off module. Someday I will have to time to research how to make it keyless.

Such a shame Dev, but I do understand where you're coming from. I would have probably done the same.

Just the same, thanks for all the effort you constantly put into the mr2 community. We should all be much obliged to you.

Jrichards20

Quote from: "Jay67"How about one in the gear knob? Very Jimmy Bond  s;) ;) s;)

Where do I get one of these!!!??? I watched James Bond last night and now I want one!!
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Tags: