Pops, burbles and growls

Started by AndyM, July 10, 2013, 22:55

AndyM

Bit of a school boy question here. I've been mulling over some car related things this evening and came upon a gap in my knowledge regarding exhausts, specifically around the sounds you get from them.

A VXR Corsa came past me on Tuesday (by came past I mean cut me off as I was changing lane) by gunning it up close to the car in the front and then slamming on. Annoyance aside his car did sound surprisingly good and it got me thinking...

As far as I'm aware the pops and burbles you get during overrun on things like touring cars is unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust. However, my '2 makes none of these sorts of sounds (that I can hear). So, is it just that more powerful cars with bigger flow exhausts and decats purely mean you can hear them better, or, is there something specific that makes them occur in the first place?

Probably a simpletons question but there it is  s:) :) s:)
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

eynonz

I've heard Toyota Yaris SR with an exhaust that liked a good pop and growl, so don't think it's limited to high powered cars, it was proper loud too (thought a sniper was after me). Mine pops on the odd occasion.

Not sure how people specifically make it do that though, I'm also interested in this.
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

mrzwei

In days gone by that would be down to the valve timing with the engine tuned to be 'on cam' high up the rev range.
The valve overlap would be so great that at anything other than optimum revs fuel and exhaust gasses would be all over the place.
VVT calmed that down a lot.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Pavett1990

I know the vauxhall VXR range are very popular with having Remus exhausts fitted (same as TTE) and with the turbo fitted pops and bangs every gear change.. Sounds amazing.. Astra VXRs sound amazing with Remus exhaust also
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

E

Having no cats at all helps quite a bit.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

When I had just the janspeed exhaust it did just that, so its probably down to a catless thing.

dcod

I don't think it's really about being cat-less (although it probably helps). I have a sport cat on my 2zz and it pops and bangs. I've heard many brand new Fiat 500 abarth's making stunning noises too. A lot of it is due to an engine that creates excessive fuel (2zz is known to run rich and turbo cars obviously can create excessive fuel on over run). I think it's also due to the make up of the exhaust and whether it can light the fuel towards the rear. Most cars probably pop and bang but it happens too far up the exhaust to hear it.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

StuC

My Janspeed popped a little before the pre-cats were taken out. More when they were taken out and a little quieter when I had a new main cat added back in.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

andyroo104

The Che exhaust sounds exactly as you have described.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

jinxedkitten

My baby is always farting (popping) away to herself. She has no precat but does have main cat. She has an after market exhaust system, but I don't know what it is, something dual pipped and quad tipped.

It tends to happen when I've been going 3k to 3.5k rpm ish, then brake (foot brake, not engine braking) and quickly drop to 2k or less, then press the loud pedal to speed up again. Going over speedbumps is a good example.
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Jrichards20

Mine makes a nice pop every now and then. I have precats and main cat. But I do have an after market exhaust. I have Cobra quad exit. Which sounds like the same one that jinxedkitten has. Mine tends to happen when dropping from high revs to low revs. Possibly the exhaust?
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

dcod

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"Going over speedbumps is a good example.

Exactly what I get, just as I start to press the fast pedal over a speed bump I get a pop ... keep thinking my car is scraping over the sleeping rozer   s:o :o s:o
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

jinxedkitten

Jrichards, I don't suppose you could pm me a pic of your exhaust please so I could see if we have the same, then ill know what mine is! Been trying to identify it against other pics on the forum, but no luck.

I love the noise mine makes, wouldn't swap it for anything  s:) :) s:)
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Flipside

My cobra makes lots of burble and pops on over run too, love it.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

eynonz

My Longlife system also burbles on pops on the occasion when i'm dropping revs.  s:) :) s:)  *Brrrmm brmmm brrrm pop brrmm brmmm*   s8) 8) s8)
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

Jrichards20

PM Sent Jinxedkittin.

If you want to show me a pic of yours I will be able to have a guess for you  s:) :) s:)
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

AndyM

Thanks all. Interesting information here.

I'm still a little confused as to how cat-back systems alone have such an effect as surely the 'pop' is still happening before the cat. I presume it just means you can hear the natural pops a bit better.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Two's Company

My H&S is popping and growling at the moment.  I think it's the heat - but not sure why?!  Tends to be more noticeable when the car is well warmed up which happens more quickly in this heat.

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "Jrichards20"PM Sent Jinxedkittin.

If you want to show me a pic of yours I will be able to have a guess for you  s:) :) s:)

Thank you much appreciated, ill take a pic when I leave work.

Jay67

my Cobra like Flipside's pops and burbles a plenty too, sounds great  s:) :) s:)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Flipside

Mine does it more now I have swapped the manifold.
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

AndrewMason

The best (or worse) pop and bang I had was on my old Triumph (car). Did the silly thing of coasting downhill in gear with ignition off - can't remember why. Turned on the ignition at the bottom and completely blew out the sidewall of the silencer. The power of unburnt flue!

Whilst getting it sorted, due to an incorrect supplied exhaust part, I ended up driving the car with just the front down pipe - i.e. about 2 foot of 40mm plain tube only. Got pulled by the police due to flames being visable under the car on over-run. Opps...

Good news in the end as I replaced it with straight through single box system which tooted wonderfullly at 4k rpm.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

ray835

Quote from: "Jay67"my Cobra like Flipside's pops and burbles a plenty too, sounds great  s:) :) s:)
ditto same here
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Tags: