Dim/Dull Dash Board Lights + other queries

Started by Yorkie1967, August 23, 2013, 12:20

Yorkie1967

Hi everyone

Now the nights are drawing I've been out more and more in the evenings driving in the dark. I've noticed that compared to other (newer) cars the dashboard illumination is quite dim. Not unreadable by any means and your eyes do quickly get used to it, but I wondered if this was a normal feature or whether at 10 years old the bulbs are ready for whipping out and replacing. I don't want new dials - I do like to keep as much 'original' stuff on it as possible - but just wondered if everyone has a dull dash. Same with the interior light - vary dim - ready for replacement? Also, noticed that the passenger power window button isn't lit at night - easy fix? Finally, noticed that the headlamps are very bright and quite 'blueish' - are these original standard headlamp bulbs?

Cheers

Ian

StuC

There is a little dial switch on the RHS of the steering wheel. It's underneath the door lock switch. Have a play with that before you start ripping out the cluster!  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Yorkie1967

Hi Stu C

Sorry didn't add that I'd already tried this. Still quite dim with the adjuster fully dialled up..

Thanks

spit

Bulb replacement on our dash is a pretty easy job. Chances are you're suffering from 10 year old blackening.The holders twist out from the PCB making them look for all the world like they're capped bayonet fitting bulbs, but they are in fact clear 1.3W capless bulbs that sit in those holders.

The pass window switch etc are not illuminated on the '2 so no need to try and fix that   s:D :D s:D
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Yorkie1967

Cheers spit - much appreciated. A job for the Bank Holiday!

Tags: