Irish MR2 in Scotland?

Started by Steve-o, September 12, 2013, 22:00

Steve-o

Hi all, recently joined for advice as I am currently trying to find an MR2 to buy. I viewed a private sale MR2 in Glasgow last night and have arranged an inspection for tomorrow, however I have tried checking the DVLA website and vehicle history check websites and the car wasn't found. I have then used an Irish website and the car information came up, so I assume it is an Irish car.

Can anyone tell me what happens in this case? As the details aren't on the DVLA website, I assume it is still registered in Ireland. If I were to buy the car, would I have to register it here or does it stay registered over there? And if it needs to transfer does it cost anything?

Sorry for the questions but I'm a bit of a newbie at buying cars privately and just want to make sure there's nothing dodgy!

Markb

No problems with a northern ireland car at all,its still a UK car only registered with DVLNI.......a republic of ireland car is different  altogether,it would be classed as a euro import and subject to duty etc if not already paid....if its an NI car its probably best to re register to make taxing simpler,we do the same with mainland cars although its not compulsory.....not 100% certain afaik re registering from ni to the mainland is free apart from buying a set of plates.

Tags: