turbo supercharger or 2zz

Started by swinglow81, September 16, 2013, 13:43

swinglow81

Decisions decisions hi guys and girls as you can see from the title I'm struggling to choose what to go for so was just seeing if could get any feed back on peoples personal experiences cheers again

Dan

swinglow81

Sadly all 3 ain't a option

AmeR

3 very different choices so is say it depends on your situation. Namely funds, ability (if looking to DIY), consideration to reversibility, long term gains etc etc etc. It's probably worth considering some of these and refining your query.

Plenty of information on Turbos and 2ZZ swaps on here. Some Supercharger information on here too, but plenty more on Spyderchat where they are more common. The related threads should help to guide your thoughts.

Wabbitkilla

All three are possible at the same time, but would be expensive to get right.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

swinglow81

Yea that's why all three ain't a option lol

cheers Amer once its in its in for good on what ever I choose as planning keep the car till I kill it or it kills me. Not sure if to diy it as mates got a  pit in his garage or get someone else to do it. Just wondered on peoples own experiances with each of these

AmeR

I have only owned and driven the Turbo option so can only comment on that. I love my Turbo'd Roadster just as much as pre-Turbo but for different reasons.

Now there are plenty of different turbo, and associated kit, options depending on your end goal. Depending on your confidence with a spanner, they can all be DIY plumbed in to a 2 (as both of mine have). My advice if you go down that route is to take your time, be considerate of what you do and where things go, don't skimp, don't cut corners and plan plan plan. It'll make for a much more solid solution in the end!!

s12vea

Best have a drive of a few to see which one suits your driving style. I love my turbo the extra torque and the sound does it for me everytime.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

swinglow81

Thanks lads seen couple engines on flea bay for about 1300 notes but that's if I trust them or not or a exige engine done up for 4200 suppose if go that route can always add both at a later date but then that's a lot of money on a 14 year old car I'm a night mare on choices lol.

Haha think your Defo right s12vea know who wants to lend me all three for a weekend  s:) :) s:)

Alex Knight

Turbos:

Good gains for the outlay, with the possibility of even more improvements. Can be expensive though, as booooost it addictive. Naturally not going to have the same reliability or longevity as a stock N/A car.

Superchargers:

As above really, but kits are more expensive and less scope for tuning due to less aftermarket support for this.

2ZZ:

My favoured route. You get OEM reliability, a decent increase in power, and the noise up to 8,500RPM is mental! You however are more limited to tuning options, and you get less torque than forced induction, but circa 210HP in a roadster is perfect if you ask me. Fairly cheap if you can swing a spanner too.

swinglow81

Haha cheers Alex mate got to love a bit of noise just a quick quiry I got a 4-1 manifold and love the noise this makes is there anyway I can make this fit to the 2zz that you know of or am I gonna have to say good by to my beloved manifold  s:( :( s:(

Alex Knight

No, I don't think it will fit I'm afraid.

swinglow81

Damn it that's what I was afraid of thanks for our help tho mate

dcod

I believe my 2zz has a 1zz manifold off ebay. The flange was cut off and a 2zz flange welded on.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Snug fitting ones with no leaks are best ...
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

steve b

Mines a cut and shut toysport one.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Alex Knight

I bought a CHE/TopSpeed 2ZZ Swap manifold from MWR:

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1821 m

jonty

I have a brand new unused CHE 2zz manifold that I can sell if you want? £170 delivered saves you import and shipping costs.

swinglow81

Hi guys sorry ain't been on here for awhile been absolutely manic my end thanks for all the advice guys really appreciate it still on look out for engine at no for right price thanks for offer jonty

Andys-N20

Also Zorstec still have (I think) a full stainless system that they will want shot of. Maybe room to negotiate on the price. This should have similar characteristics to PPE's system.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

swinglow81

Cheers Andy but I've already got a full system  and only need a new 4-1 header to fit to my down pipe if they had one of them I'd be interested as I've only just spent 1600 on my system at the beginning of the year cheers for the heads up tho mate

Tags: