Meguiars PlastX review

Started by AndyM, September 22, 2013, 19:26

AndyM

I picked up a bottle of this with the Tweeks discount yesterday and thought I'd give it a try this afternoon... wow!   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

My sable was showing the usual signs of headlight fatigue with a greeny/yellow tinge encroaching down the lens. Over the summer I've tried washing it, polishing it, cutting compound, toothpaste and all of them combined with little to no real improvement (accept sometimes making the greeny/yellow a bit shinier).

Anyway, washed the car this afternoon and once completely dry used a foam pad and the PlastX straight onto the light, a decent amount of elbow grease and then a buff up with a microfibre... the colouring has all but disappeared. Very impressed!
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Two's Company

Will be interested to know how long that lasts.  I machined polished mine 2 months ago and all was well until about a month after when the green mist returned.

I bought some too so I'll give it a whirl soon.

StuC

Did you use a UV sealer?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Two's Company

No. Such as?

AndyM

Quote from: "Two's Company"Will be interested to know how long that lasts.

Yeah we'll see. If needs be I'll just use this on it every month or so, I reckon if you don't let it build up again its probably a 5 minute job.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

StuC

Jay64 knows what to use. I can't remember the name!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

manchestermatt1986

Iv bought some of this recently also, is it not worth using a machine polisher to do it?
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Richard41

Quote from: "StuC"Jay64 knows what to use. I can't remember the name!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Is this stuff

m http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom ... db_pid=257 m

2 of the left

Before replacing both headlight units last month I used Pitmans cleaning fluid - very expensive!! (but very good in the results achieved) the downside is that it comes in a phial sized bottle!!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Meguiars is a polish not a cleaner!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

BranM

Optimum Opti-Lens Headlight Coating
Finish Kare 1000p
Chem Guys Jetseal 109

All very good uv sealers for headlights and plastics

manchestermatt1986

Used the PlastX yesterday with a machine polisher and WOW!!! its not often you buy something and think 'that was bloody worth buying!'

very impressed with it, i could of done them in 5 mins and been happy with result but i spent about 15 mins and they look almost as good as new
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

Ricardo

Got some toady to try as my headlights were looking a bit dull.

Didn't use a machine polisher, just used it on a cloth. One application as per instructions on bottle.

Before:

After:

Stifler

Certainly looks better, will need to give this stuff a try!

tomaky

Gunna get some sealant after im got a new headlight and forget about mine haha
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Tags: