Pagid vs MTECH/Piranha brake discs ?

Started by WezzyG, October 23, 2013, 19:58

WezzyG

Hello, just wondering if i can get some advice and feedback on Pagid vs Mtech/Piranha brake discs. I have already ordered HEL brake lines, 2 Refurbished Rear brake calipers, yellow stuff pads all round and some new brake fluid. The only thing i'm torn on is the brake discs !!

The pagid design are plain but i can get a set of four delivered for £108 so seem to be valuable !

And on the other hand.....

The MTECH/Piranha are drilled and grooved and finished with a protective black coating and available for £140 delivered

Any advice or feedback would be a great help ! Thanks

nathanMR2

You can get pagid discs grooved if you speak to the supplier. I've been very happy with mine and I understand loadswine also with his
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

WezzyG

That sounds good, did you just contact Pagid direct and not europarts i take it ? Can i also ask how much you paid for them? Thanks

nathanMR2

Honestly I can't remember where I got them from now. I'll check my paper work and come back to you.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

FGrob

I'm just about to fit Mtech to my Twingo, don't go for the drilled as they can crack (this is not just Mtech by the way   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) Dimple and slotted are better, I'm also fitting yellow stuff pads. Not fitted them yet but have seen reasonable reviews for the Mtech - Pagid I really don't know, I ran EBC Turbo Groove on the 2 with Yellow stuff pads and they were great even on the track - no fade, which is more to do with the pads than the disc.

As for the coating, the EBC was OK with their standard coating, I've gone for the Silver with the Mtech but not sure how long it will last, I've been told they are as good as Black Diamond for both protection and performance - but only time will tell.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

mr-ed_smt

I've had non-coated MTECH grooved discs for a while, and they do seem to rust quite badly. I've always been very impressed with Pagid discs - they seem to resist corrosion and heat damage quite well. Would be interested to see how the coating on the MTECH discs hold up on your Twingo Rob - I was considering it for next time.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

Ian3360

Ive got the Piranha discs fitted.... look good and stop the car too!!
As mr-ed_smt says they seem to rust quickly but no more so than the stock discs... a price to pay for living in such a warm dry climate methinks!  s:) :) s:)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
S10 TRD "Slow Turd" - Sable 2006 roadster. Red leather, Widermuller bling, Frenzy Stylebar, Piranha brake discs, HEL brakelines, Simon Tan style headlamp covers, TTE Exhaust, Ducktail Spoiler, Matts Brace, Cusco strut braces, ZunSport grilles, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Kriss\'s Kick panels, AppRadio 3 stereo, Nathans bushes, Crystal Black indicators, TRD Sportivo shocks and springs, full polybush replacement with Whiteline ARBs, [strike]Rota GT3 wheels with Yokohama S Drive tyres[/strike], Full Bodykit, [strike]AEM induction kit[/strike], C-One scoops.

[centre]CHECK OUT THE UK MR2 ROADSTER OWNERS GROUP ON FACEBOOK[/centre]

WezzyG

Thanks for the response guys. Very helpful. It seems they are both offering good quality ! As FGrob pointed out about drilled discs can be prone to breaking so would prefer just the grooved option i think. So it would be great Nathan if you manage to find we're you bought the grooved pagids. Thanks

Tags: