Leather or no leather?

Started by James and his MR2, November 25, 2013, 21:24

James and his MR2

Are leather seats in a convertible really a good idea? When buying the car I was looking for A/C with cloth interior but part of me wants leather just because it looks good   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s12vea

Cloth is the sensible option but leather does look much better in my opinion. Keep an eye out on the forum / an internet auction site as they often come up for sale.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

James and his MR2

I see a member who has joined to sell his 2 and he has leather interior could make him an offer if anyone is interested, not sure if I want leather or not, too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer lol

s12vea

It would be a new love hate relationship lol
TF204 Blue

shnazzle

I've had leather all summer and can't really complain about it to be honest.
Seems to be a winner in the winter as well...with seat heating.
...neutiquam erro.

s12vea

Heated seats make all the difference!! Worth every penny  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue

onion86

Quote from: "s12vea"Heated seats make all the difference!! Worth every penny  s:) :) s:)
I agree  s:) :) s:)

I've had cloth and 2x leather (1x heated), prefer leather.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

James and his MR2

Haha all you lot with heated seats  s:) :) s:)

s12vea

The kits sometimes appear on her and relatively easy to fit yourself
TF204 Blue

shnazzle

Aldi are selling heated seat mats at the moment for cheap cheap! They look decent enough and plug into the ciggie hole. Will not win awards for elegance but it'll keep your toosh warm over the winter  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

s12vea

You give it a reply and report back  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue

tomaky

I have both  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

shnazzle

Quote from: "s12vea"You give it a reply and report back  s:) :) s:)

A reply?  s:) :) s:)

Now that'd be daft as I don't need it  s:) :) s:)  hehe. Unless you donate the amount I spend on it to the club if it works perfectly
...neutiquam erro.

James and his MR2

Quote from: "shnazzle"Aldi are selling heated seat mats at the moment for cheap cheap! They look decent enough and plug into the ciggie hole. Will not win awards for elegance but it'll keep your toosh warm over the winter  s:) :) s:)

Ill stick to my bodywarmer/gillet. That actually makes my back sweat on a cold morning  s:) :) s:)

tomaky

I got my seats at a steal of 50 and the kits are about 50 struggling to justify it
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

s12vea

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "s12vea"You give it a reply and report back  s:) :) s:)

A reply?  s:) :) s:)

Now that'd be daft as I don't need it  s:) :) s:)  hehe. Unless you donate the amount I spend on it to the club if it works perfectly

Bloody iPad auto correct! Lol
TF204 Blue

shnazzle

Quote from: "tomaky"I got my seats at a steal of 50 and the kits are about 50 struggling to justify it
Use the money you will win in your face painting competition on Sunday.

It's worth it! And some of the kits available in eBay look quite jazzy with. 5 settings and all
...neutiquam erro.

MisterK

I've got the best of both worlds - Leather outer with alcantara centres from LSC, cool in summer and warm in winter, also give great grip and you don't slide all over the place.  Previously had standard red cloth seats which I found were a bit slippy.

MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

shnazzle

Quote from: "MisterK"I've got the best of both worlds - Leather outer with alcantara centres from LSC, cool in summer and warm in winter, also give great grip and you don't slide all over the place.  Previously had standard red cloth seats which I found were a bit slippy.

That is indeed very nice. Alcantara is great for not being slippy but still having the properties of leather you want ( durable and adjust to your body temperature very quickly. I'd happily have mine redone with charcoal alcantara in the middle
...neutiquam erro.

AmeR

I was insistent when I bought my 2s that they had leather in as I think it finishes the interior off nicely. It's personal preference though really and you can always change from one to the other and even back again I you change your mind. Plenty of members have done so.

I have heated leather with alcantera in the 86 GTS and I'm considering recovering the MR2 ones in a similar fashion (when it eventually gets here!) for the same reasons stated above.

tomaky

:O haha didnt think about that! might do it over christmas planning on putting the cloth seats back in in the next week a think.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

AndyM

Leather for me (non-heated), never noticed them feeling particularly hot or cold and I think they look better than cloth.

Those alcantara trimmed ones above look lovely though!  s:D :D s:D
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

tricky1138

I had the standard red cloth seats in but always liked the look of the leather ones.

Always thought it would be easier and cheaper to get the right colour car and change the seats than have to get a respray!

Now have leather and much prefer the look to them and even on these cold mornings  I don't notice them too much and they warm up quite quickly.

I even found myself sweating on a spirited ride a couple of weeks ago - even with the roof down!

I'd say get the car you want, whatever seats they have and change if necessary.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

James and his MR2

Think you guys might be convincing me leather seats is the way to go lol

shnazzle

Do it. Leather is bet..ther?
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: