How Can I Make my 2 More "Spottable"?

Started by trickyD, January 22, 2014, 12:03

trickyD

Bit of a weird one, but I own a black FL '2 and I'm sick of people pulling out on me.
I have upgraded lights and run with them and the fogs on all the time.

I'm wondering if there is something I can do styling wise

The only thoughts I've had is maybe better lights?
- LED DRLs or maybe a splitter at the front to make it look aggressive and "get outa my way!"
- Vinyl on the front?
- White wrap?
- a massive rear spoiler visible from the front?

:/

Any ideas???
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

cptspaulding

From a lighting seminar I attended many years ago:

"If it's bright, if it moves or if it flashes" you have a much improved chance of seeing it.

Automotive LED's tend to be a much cooler (further to the blue end of the visible light spectrum) light, as LED's naturally perform better/brighter the more blue they are. IMHO they are also much more noticable than tungsten filament/halogen lamps.

The gaps on the pfl bumper always suggest to me that they are ripe for fitting after market LED strips in there (pls don't argue legalese, it's only an observation).

Yours is a fl model but still if you can get some bright LED's into the side lights or the fogs then that would be my suggestion. For info, I've never used my fog lights. Does the switch operate both front & rear fogs together?
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

brianorme1986

i had this same problem with my pfl 2, so i brought some drls to fit perfectly in the gap in the front bumper. makes a big difference!! ive got some spare ones for sale. all the best

StuC

Quote from: "trickyD"Bit of a weird one, but I own a black FL '2 and I'm sick of people pulling out on me.
I have upgraded lights and run with them and the fogs on all the time.

I'm wondering if there is something I can do styling wise

The only thoughts I've had is maybe better lights?
- LED DRLs or maybe a splitter at the front to make it look aggressive and "get outa my way!"
- Vinyl on the front?
- White wrap?
- a massive rear spoiler visible from the front?

:/

Any ideas???

Trade in and buy a yellow! It's the way forward I tell you.  s:-D :-D s:-D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Anonymous

It took three attempts with various LED's and eventually settled with these, haven't seen any brighter, the bottom picture is as it's getting towards dusk, they are too bright to run with dipped headlights as in DRL's so I used a relay to cut them when headlights are on (The bright lights above are 501 LED's)

trickyD

Quote from: "cptspaulding"From a lighting seminar I attended many years ago:

"If it's bright, if it moves or if it flashes" you have a much improved chance of seeing it.

Automotive LED's tend to be a much cooler (further to the blue end of the visible light spectrum) light, as LED's naturally perform better/brighter the more blue they are. IMHO they are also much more noticable than tungsten filament/halogen lamps.

The gaps on the pfl bumper always suggest to me that they are ripe for fitting after market LED strips in there (pls don't argue legalese, it's only an observation).

Yours is a fl model but still if you can get some bright LED's into the side lights or the fogs then that would be my suggestion. For info, I've never used my fog lights. Does the switch operate both front & rear fogs together?

Thanks Captain!

No the rears are on the stalk.
The fronts don't dazzle, I've checked

Bits for sale!

SteveJ

Quote from: "trickyD"The fronts don't dazzle, I've checked

On wet roads they DO!

trickyD

Thanks for all your comments guys.
Since I haven't changed the fogs, maybe they should be next.

I love the ring look Les, who makes them?
Do they come on with the ignition?
How did you fit the relay?

Sorry for all the questions!

Bits for sale!

Anonymous

Quote from: "trickyD"Thanks for all your comments guys.
Since I haven't changed the fogs, maybe they should be next.

I love the ring look Les.
Do they come on with the ignition?

How did you fit the relay?
Yes I did an ignition live, the relay is easy, just a normally closed type.

trickyD

Quote from: "SteveJ"

On wet roads they DO!

How come?
I don't think they point down?

I've never noticed this, but will have a look at other oncoming cars.

Bits for sale!

trickyD

Ok, so daytime running LEDs aside...

Any other ideas?
Any pics maybe of mean looking black '2s front on?

Bits for sale!

carolineasb

I personally don't think it is anything to do with lighting.

In my opinion, it is to do with height.  Other car drivers and pedestrians always seen to assume that they will be able to see an oncoming car either in the windows of parked vehicles or above the roof line of parked vehicles.

I have had problems with both of our 2s and one is silver and the other blue.  If it was the dark colour, it would only have happened in the blue but it happens in the silver too!

Maybe we all need a huge spoiler with a flag on top!
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

AndyM

Maybe people are pulling out on you because you're running fog lights when it isn't foggy  s;) ;) s;)

I'd also say DRLs are the way to go if anything, however an idiot driver will always be an idiot driver so they'd just as likely pull out if you were driving a neon orange lambo. I have to say for me I've not personally experienced it in my '2 any more than any other car I've owned.

I don't think body mods will help at all (and in fact are probably more likely to get somebody more in the mood to 'prove their Corsa is as good as a hairdressers car').
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

trickyD

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a spoiler/ splitter aren't I  s;) ;) s;)

I was thinking of having the aerial permanently up, and adding some kind of flag or fox tail!!!
 s:D :D s:D

Bits for sale!

MisterK

Like you, I was getting fed up with people pulling out in front of me & having had someone turn right across me I decided to fit some DRL's  Really pleased with the results:

Since fitting there's been a noticeable reduction in idiots pulling out.  Just fitted some LED side lights to match yesterday so all white light at the front.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

vinp182

I always drive with my DRL's and side lights on

2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Wabbitkilla

You need something like this to be noticed fully
 m http://www.thegreenhead.com/2004/09/mis ... ur-car.php m

I hate DRL's that are too bright, far too distracting!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tricky1138

Quote from: "SteveJ"

On wet roads they DO!

People driving with Front Fogs on are a pet hate of mine! Its getting harder to spot them now with all the DRL's.

And I have known people to be pulled by the police for having their fog lights on!

As stated in the Highway code:

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves (see Rule 236). Law RVLR regs 25 & 27
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

trickyD

Ha ha that's a great idea Wabbit.

Ref front fogs and Highway Code - totally get where you are coming from but when it comes to my own safety I'm going to be selfish here. I understand I could get pulled for it, have know it to happen to friends, but personally I'd rather be seen. It's not like I drive with them on in summer....

Bits for sale!

AndyM

Just expect reactions like this (45 seconds in)  s;) ;) s;)  ...

[youtube:3w0b00zm]9DZXOANUaNk[/youtube:3w0b00zm]
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

trickyD

Lol
But that's for rear fogs - now they are annoying!!

Plus that's Alan!
Sometimes I get flashed for having my fronts on, to which I give a toot and the one finger salute - sorry Alan!
 s;) ;) s;)

Bits for sale!

trickyD

You'd see this coming maybe?

Bits for sale!

Metalligator

Taken from:
 m http://www.swiftcover.com/about/press/fog-lights/ m

Reckless fog light drivers caused 300,000 accidents in 2011
Friday, 27 January 2012
- Two million near-misses caused by drivers leaving fog lights on in the same period

- Three million drivers admit to leaving fog lights on despite driving in good visibility, despite it being an official driving offence .

- One in five young drivers who had left fog lights on did so "because it looks good"
Motorists who use their front and rear fog lights indiscriminately when visibility is not impaired have caused as many as 300,000 accidents in the last 12 months, with young drivers leaving fog lights on "because it looks good", research by car insurance provider swiftcover.com has found.

The research went on to find that one in five drivers (21 per cent) who had left their fog lights on did so because their standard lights were not bright enough, but other excuses included improving visibility on poorly-lit lanes and deterring other motorists from driving too close.

Furthermore, 14 per cent claimed to turn their fog lights on simply "because it looks good". Younger drivers aged under 34 were particularly likely to have deliberately misused fog lights for this reason – 22 per cent of 18-34 year olds who had left their fog lights on cited this reason, compared to just 3 per cent of those aged 35-54.

It is an offence to use fog lights unless visibility is reduced to 100m or less, and doing so can attract a £30 fixed penalty notice because of the danger it poses to other drivers who may be dazzled or distracted. However, with front fog lights now commonplace on UK roads due to manufacturers incorporating them on an increasing number of vehicles as standard, nearly one in ten motorists (8 per cent) admitted to using high intensity fog lights outside of these circumstances.

"Young drivers trying to look 'cool' by using their fog lights at all times are recklessly and thoughtlessly endangering other motorists", commented Robin Reames, chief claims officer at swiftcover.com. "Fog lights are designed for a very specific purpose – helping drivers to see and be seen when visibility is severely reduced. Misusing these lights has the effect of dazzling and distracting other motorists and causes a staggering number of crashes, as evidenced by our research. If you can see further than 100m (roughly the length of a football pitch) then your fog lights should remain off, and if they are not then you are breaking the law and could face a £30 fixed penalty notice."

London drivers were the most likely to use their fog lights during normal visibility: swiftcover.com recorded more crashes due to fog lights in London than in any other region, with half (50 per cent) reporting having been dazzled by other motorists using these lights outside of fog.
Reames continued: "It's about common sense and courtesy – you wouldn't want to be dazzled by other drivers' lights, so be responsible and turn yours off when they're not necessary."

The Highway Code states that drivers must not:

Use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

Use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You must switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users
A full copy of the Highway Code is available at:  m http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_070302 m

trickyD

Very interesting stuff.

I do however think there is a massive misunderstanding over what is meant by fog lights.
Although that article is clearly talking about both front and rear fogs, some of the questionnaire answers and therefore stats are clearly for rear fogs only: "admitted to using fog lights to stop drivers driving to close" now this can only an rear fogs can't it. Otherwise you'd just back off a little.

I agree rear fogs are dazzling, I disagree that all front fogs are.

Eg on my mini, my side lights and fogs are incorporated into the same unit and one isn't more "dazzling" than the other
Just my 2p, I know it's a contentious issue!
 s:) :) s:)

Bits for sale!

nimrod

If you ride a motorbike you have the same problem, you can see the drivers head turn to look at you, then they pull out.

Tags: