engine malfunction light

Started by Anonymous, August 6, 2004, 22:00

Anonymous

hi, ive just become a proad owner of a 2, but i need to know if some thing is normal.
when i turn on the ignition my engine malfuction light comes on and stays on, however when i start the car it goes out. is this the norm   s:D :D s:D  or have i bought a dud  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ??!!

Anonymous

sounds norm to me, as the light should stay on while the car is running to let you know there is a fault. there are quite a lot of lights displayed while ignition is on

Anonymous

blimey you were quick! thanks that puts my mind at rest. i only noticed it today but was not sure if it had done that earlier in the week or not.
Thank you
Rich

Tem

Quote from: "bburkie10"blimey you were quick! thanks that puts my mind at rest. i only noticed it today but was not sure if it had done that earlier in the week or not.

It stays on so you can see the light is working  s;) ;) s;)  You might wanna read the owner's manual to learn about other features as well  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

i did read the book but i was not clear weather it should stay on or go out!!

Tem

Quote from: "bburkie10"i did read the book but i was not clear weather it should stay on or go out!!

Check page 88 (assuming you have the same manual I do)  s8) 8) s8)

"4. Turn the ignition key to "ON", but do not start the engine.
All the service reminder indicators except the open door warning light should come on. The "ABS" and power steering system warning lights go off after a few seconds. The SRS warning lights goes off after about 6 seconds."

Page 87 (f) also talks about it "If it comes on while you are driving..."  s8) 8) s8)

Don't worry about it, at least you know it now  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

when turning the engine over, if you leave the key in the start position for too long it makes a horrible screeching sound nearly stalling the engine?? never had a car do this before. is it the starter motor grinding away or something??

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tomr2"is it the starter motor grinding away or something??

Yes.  So stop doing that.

-Hong

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"if you leave the key in the start position for too long

A guy goes to doctor and says "it hurts when I do this".
Doctor tells him to stop doing it.

Do what Hong...I mean doctor said  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

sorry if i sounded a bit retarded by what i said but what i mean was when you turn the key to 'start' there is that slight delay until the engine turns over, (not like with my last car where it turned over the instant you turned the key.) so unless youve got reflexes like spiderman, to release the key back to the normal position there is that split second where it goes crunch.

wish i hadnt have said anything now  s:( :( s:(

Tem

It shouldn't do anything in a split second...  s:? :? s:?

You don't happen to take a pause in starting and then retry again...? Maybe sometimes not noticing it already started...?

Anonymous

dont think you understood me. see if this helps:

1. put key in
2. turn key to 'start', and wait for engine to turn-over
3.engine turns over, then immediately after crunch from starter motor from holding key in start position too long (time is about 1 sec really)
4 turn key to normal position

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"dont think you understood me. see if this helps:

1. put key in
2. turn key to 'start', and wait for engine to turn-over
3.engine turns over, then immediately after crunch from starter motor from holding key in start position too long (time is about 1 sec really)
4 turn key to normal position

I got you...just wondering, since I've never got any weird sounds from starting and I'm not really paying any extra attention to it. I let go of the key once it starts, quite normally and slowly, without any need to try to be fast.

Tags: