Which size alloys would suit my needs?

Started by bluesmoke, April 16, 2014, 22:56

bluesmoke

The new car has 18's on it I've just discovered. I think know that's far too big for the roadster, so looking for advice. I've been looking at the wheels pic thread and the main choices seem to be between 16" and 17".

Now I'm leaning towards 16's, as I want to do track days etc. and really want this car to handle. If that sounds like the right choice, what kind of wheel widths should I be looking for?

wotugonado

I didn't want to affect the handling when I changed mine either, so i went for aftermarket wheel with 15 at the front and 16 at the rear same as the face lift setup. You may have to ring around as some company's won't sell different rims sizes. But imo it was worth the effort as the car still handles amazingly.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

bluesmoke

I'm not sure if I would bother with going aftermarket to run the same exact sizes though. I could go for 16's all round but also interested in how owners with 17's find them?

The other option of course, is to sell the 18's and buy some new tyres for the FL wheels I have and give them a home refurb. I'm keen to personalise the car with a nice set of Rotas or similar though.

Jrichards20

The most popular approach would be to go for 16'' Rotas and stagger the tyre sizes. That way still keeping close to factory set up
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

StuC

I have 17's all round on mine and I am happy with how it drives.
The ride can be a little harsh sometimes, with the 40 profile tyres, but you can't have everything.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Davegtst

I have 17' rota's on mine.  205 40 17 on the front and 225 45 17 on the back.  The backs are fine and don't rub.  The fronts did a bit at certain angles so I had to modify the arch liners a bit.  It is lowered as well.

bluesmoke

Don't fancy rubbing! What offsets are you guys running? I'm going either 16" or 17" but want optimum handling. Any of you found that moving to 17's made the car worse?

Tags: