Alloy H Gate

Started by utterclarity, May 15, 2014, 13:07

utterclarity

Does anyone know if you can get one of these  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lotus-Elise-s ... 1e8ae59541 m  for a '2? Think'll it'll look great with a short shift and ball knob.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Rob988

I could CNC one up and have considered it before but looking at how the actual gear stick bends and isn't completely straight, I decided against it as it wouldn't look right.

StuC

I had a look at making a proper gate, with material in between the gear positions and there isn't enough space between the gear throws. I wanted to do it like that so there wasn't a big gaping hole in the middle. Which seems to be the case on those ones linked.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

utterclarity

Thanks Rob, how much are we talking to CNC something? I was going to put in a short shift too which doesn't have the bend.

Stu, I'd prefer it without the big hole too but still like the look (as long as I don't drop crisps down it it should be ok   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  )

StuC

Quote from: "utterclarity"as long as I don't drop crisps down it it should be ok   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Not saying that the hole is big or anything, but you might even lose your moby down there!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s;-) ;-) s;-)

utterclarity

You mean like this?

StuC

uh huh... pretty much.  s;-) ;-) s;-)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Rob988

Oh pence. Just the cost of the aluminium. Assuming that's what you'd want it made out of.

Rob988

Again no issue with the short shift but it would all sit off centre. Could still do it just to see what it looks like though.

utterclarity

Aluminium would be great and I'd be interested to see what it looks like especially if it's only going to be 'pence', obviously I'll cover costs.

Rob988

So we'd have to track the position in each gear relative to each other. Once that's done it's pretty easy.

utterclarity

Any idea how we do that? Are we talking cardboard templates?

Rob988

String would be my go to. However it's not an easy thing to measure. It would also need a level if tolerance to allow for the fact that I imagine the throw on each car is slightly different. I'm at Matts now so I'll run the idea past him.

StuC

I'd go cardboard cut outs for simplicity.  :-) :-) :-)
Have an idea in mind of how you are going to mount it too.

StuC

Quote from: "Rob988"String would be my go to. However it's not an easy thing to measure.

Are you saying that you don't know how long a piece of string is?  s;-) ;-) s;-)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Rob988

Anyway that will get the measurements would be good, I have no idea how people even have access to string, can't remember the last time I bought any...  The way I would measure it would be Neutral - far left, Neutral - far right, Neutral -3rd, Neutral - 4th, Neutral - R.  Then you could work the rest out as you'd want each channel to be equal anyway.

Tags: