HELP LOST KEYS

Started by simonlacey88, June 26, 2014, 10:10

simonlacey88

Hi Guys, weve lost the keys for the Mr2 Mk3 we have we have spent days looking and still to no avail, heres a couple of questions, is there anyway say we dropped the keys in the car that the car can lock it self???
I have spoke to toyota and its going to be over 1500-2000 quid, so thats a no way.
spoke to a auto locksmith and I have been quoted 188 + VAT for 1 remote key to reprogramme and supply key.
Is there any hints and tips any one can offer.

Remember we dont have any spare keys at all, yes weve looked everywhere and please no smart ass comments, that didn`t work when I tried that with the wife!!!
The car is in a locked situation as well.

Cheers guys

StuC

I think I am right in saying that if you don't open the drivers door within 30 seconds after pressing the unlock button that it will automatically lock the doors.

Are you a member of the RAC/AA/GreenFlag etc? I have called them out before when my Mrs had deadlocked a car and shut the keys in the boot!!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

simonlacey88

cheers stuc, i`m more thinking that the wife had the keys when she was shutting the roof, they have somehow fell out ahes then got out the car and shut the door and the car has then gone on to lock it self, seems daft. but goto try anything

cheers

StuC

That means the door will have been opened. Not sure if it locks itself in those circumstances. Sounds like I need to go out to the carpark and try it at lunchtime!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

simonlacey88

what ever you do, dont be posting Help wanted Keys locked in car LOcked itself ha ha.

Its so frustrating , just got the power steering fixed and its running lovely, then this happens.

Typical

lol

StuC

[strike:351ysbt3]only a fool would do that[/strike:351ysbt3]
I'll try my best not to  s;-) ;-) s;-)

andyroo104

The car will only lock itself if you unlock the door and fail to open within 30 seconds but once opened will not lock unless button on key is pushed,as Stu mentioned above.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

simonlacey88

so in theory, that would eliminate the key from being in the car.

cheers guys

next question anyone know where i can rent a metal detector for my garden??

StuC

Just been out to Banana to prove it to myself. If EITHER door is opened it won't lock itself.

Added bonus, got a parking space 50% closer to the office!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

True, but my mrs locked her keys in the mr2 (before I stripped it all out for track!) because the passenger side door switch was sticky; didn't register the door being opened.
By the time she had walked round to the drivers side (keys in handbag on passenger seat) the car had re locked.  s:( :( s:(

carolineasb

Surely most garages should be able to get into the car within minutes (although they will probably charge at least half an hour's labour after the call out charge!), then you can see if keys are inside?  If keys not there, then you' go from there?  As StuC asked, I take it you are not in any  of the recovery/breakdown clubs like AA/RAC etc?  I suppose then there's the problem that you can't relock if they are not there.

I would give it 24 hours, you never know one of you may just remember where you put them  s:) :) s:)
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Anonymous

The aa / Rac can open your car within about 10'mins with no damage. Seen it done many times; if you've got cover it's worth a go

simonlacey88

Yes got full green flag cover, and we've been looking for nearly 2 weeks on and of, we've a big house and are crazy busy with work etc. and because we don't use it all the time, got a guy coming on monday 180£ to sort it and provide new remote key.

simonlacey88

All I think about all day is them bloody keys checked my work the garden the cats litter tray   s:D :D s:D  ha ha

Anonymous

I know the best way to find them, works every time.....

Buy a new set!

For sure, the old ones will turn up next day  s;) ;) s;)  - law of the sod  s:D :D s:D

StuC

Quote from: "Meeerrrk"For sure, the old ones will turn up next day  s;) ;) s;)  - law of the sod  s:D :D s:D

+1  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

simonlacey88

Cheers guys ha ha, that's £200 lighter I'll be

Please support my just giving page lol

StuC

I bet as soon as that door was open, you had to look inside... "just in case".  s;-) ;-) s;-)

It least when you find the old one later this afternoon, you'll have a spare.  s8) 8) s8)

carolineasb

Can I ask is that £180 for the key? One key and fully programmed from Green Flag?

Markb

Quote from: "carolineasb"Can I ask is that £180 for the key? One key and fully programmed from Green Flag?

A key from Toyota is £140 supplied and programmed.......£119 from CTP on here,comes pre cut with instructions and takes 5 mins IF you have an original button key which is required to enter programming mode (programming is simple,even i was able to do it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )......the op mentioned an auto locksmith so i'm guessing he 's going to  REprogram a key via the obd 2 socket with coding equipment......not a bad price tbh if it works.

carolineasb

I saw that, but surely if the OP is a member of Green Flag then they could have got him in the car to see if the key was inside and, if so, that would mean no need for another key (unless a spare required)?

simonlacey88

Hi guys, the locksmith is here now, yeah he got in car very quickly, cut a key with in a couple of minutes, defo no key in car, thought it wouldn't be.
Green flag would get me in, but it's impossible to lock keys in car, it won't lock it self by itself.
Spoke to toyota they quoted me 1500-2000 to sort the problem as the just replace all the ecu etc. knew that already.
Hope it works as he won't get paid otherwise ha ha.
It's 180 plus vat for 1 remote key fully programmed.
I have no spare key no master kept etc. it's then another 35£ for a spare key after that.

I will update you on here if it's successful , he said he did one last year no problems.

I'll put a link up later

Cheers

Simon

simonlacey88

Well he got it started so that's good he's just putting the car back together, he just reprogrammed 4 codes for the key, showed me on his computer, with the ECU.
I'll get his card and put all details up folks

Cheers

Simon

puma2

well at least you got that sorted now and happy with the outcome  s:) :) s:)   so glad you did not go to mr t for thousands it would have cost you there  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: