Clattering at startup

Started by Anonymous, August 31, 2004, 09:27

Anonymous

I started the 2 this morning having not used her since Friday and there was a huge clattering noise for a second or two before the engine sound beacame normal.

I checked the oil level which was showing full. She was parked on a slight incline nose downwards, does anyone know where the oil is picked up from in the sump? Could the oil all have moved forwards meaning there was nothing to be pumped around the engine?

Has anyone else had this happen?

SteveJ

The most likely source of the noise was the tappets - as they are hydraulic and the car was parked on an angle, the oil had probably drained out of the buckets. It takes about 2 - 3 seconds for the oil pressure to build before the tappet spray bars start working.

Basically I wouldnt worry about this unless the noise continues for more than a few seconds.

HTH.

Anonymous

Thanks Steve

I have this problem on my Scorpio, but I didn't realise the 2 had hydraulic tappets, DOH

Anonymous

hydraulic tappets are self adjusting too IIRC so they should never be noisy for too long, unless you have no oil of course

Anonymous

I had a REALLY loud clattering noise for a couple of seconds after the car had been standing for a week or more. I think it was the aircon clutch, which often clunks as it engages, and it sounded to me like it was cutting in and out quickly causing the clattering.

It only lasted a second or so, and has only happened once, so I'm not too bothered - but I did open the engine cover to check a cat wasn't jammed in one of the belts or something like that !!

Tags: