USB power hub.

Started by martin_b, July 1, 2014, 12:07

martin_b

Anyone know where i can get a 4 way (min) USB setup that is powered by a 12V feed.  I need one that I can hard wire into the car so ones that have a transformer in the cigarette lighter plug substitute are no good.

cheers

martin
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

StuC

Someone did a USB install recently at the back of the console.
Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: LINKY
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

martin_b

thanks but i've already got one of the lighter type. i want one i can fix on the top of dash for the sat nav, camera, phone, tablet etc..
"Anyone who is not shocked by the quantum theory has not understood it."  Neils Bohr.. Attributed

normanh

You can buy a usb outlet socket that fits the cigar lighter - sainburys cost me about £7 its a double outlet.

Norman

martin_b

Thats what I've got at the moment and want to get rid of.
I currently have 3 usb powered devices that live on the dash. a Tom tom, Camera, and small tablet ( OBDC monitor). There is no way a £7 adapter will supply the required current, plus consider the mess of trailing wires.  Hence i want to mount a powered hub on the dash itself.

Quote from: "normanh"You can buy a usb outlet socket that fits the cigar lighter - sainburys cost me about £7 its a double outlet.

Norman

cptspaulding

Would this guide be any use?

Found after a quick search on a slow afternoon at work   s:P :P s:P
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Jrichards20

Sorry but im going to hijack your thread because its going to help me aswell.

I basically am going to have the same thing. I am mounting a GoPro camera (constant charge feed), Sat nav and phone charger. Would a cig lighter to usb not be able to cope with these devices? (im not to bothered about wires its only for one trip that all three need to be charged).
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Jandaw

Just this afternoon bought a twin USB socket which I shall probably install where the coin holder is next to the alarm indicator. Will look at connecting to cig lighter feed though a 5amp line fuse would probably be advisable I suppose.
It's circular but with a rectangular face plate if required. A Co-Star product.

That's the thinking anyway.

martin_b

The spec for standard USB 2 port charging is 500mA  for USB3 that went up to 900mA. However the plugin dedicated chargers can supply over 2A ( an IPad charger gives 2.1Amps at 5V)

Now you wont blow anything up by plugging a phone into a IPad charger for instance, it should just charge a lot quicker, but conversely if you have 3 devices on a plugin car charger that's only delivering between .5A and 1.5A they  will charge a lot slower, if at all.

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Sorry but I'm going to hijack your thread because its going to help me aswell.

I basically am going to have the same thing. I am mounting a GoPro camera (constant charge feed), Sat nav and phone charger. Would a cig lighter to usb not be able to cope with these devices? (I'm not to bothered about wires its only for one trip that all three need to be charged).

Jandaw

I now need to connect my twin USB socket positioned adjacent to the cig lighter.

Will the wires to the lighter pass enough current for me to connect to them or should I use a different source.(And if so, where do you suggest?)

Thanks in anticipation.

martin_b

Not sure what the fuse value is, and I'm having to much fun watching England bat to check but i bet it will be 10amps so the wires to the lighter socket will be good for at least the value of the fuse so should be fine for any usb hub requirements.

However if you're not sure about electrics get someone to check things out once you're done.

quote="Jandaw"]I now need to connect my twin USB socket positioned adjacent to the cig lighter.

Will the wires to the lighter pass enough current for me to connect to them or should I use a different source.(And if so, where do you suggest?)

Thanks in anticipation.[/quote]

Jandaw

Thanks very much. That'll do for me.

It's just that the wires to the lighter are not all that 'substantial' for want of a better description.

Back to your cricket.    s:D :D s:D

Tags: