Engine Knocking

Started by Anonymous, September 3, 2004, 09:31

Anonymous

This morning coming to work I planted my foot down on the throttle as I accelerated away from a round about. Then I heard a rumbling form the engine! Ouch - I think that I have a damaged valve based on the fact that the noise is constant even idling and the knocking gets louder / more frequent with revs. I had a look and it could maybe be coming from below the heat shield but I think it is the main block. Any one any idea how much a main dealer will charge me to replace a valve? Can it be done by taking the cover off only or the whole head?

Thanks for your advice!

Anonymous

If its a knocking, instead of a tapping, sure its the valve? When I had a "knpcking" going on on my Mk1, turned out to be a big end squared off!!!

I would get it checked before assuming. Not casting aspurtions on your knowledge either, just better to be safe than sorry and wouldn't want you to incurr any more damage.........

Anonymous

Really hope it's not the big end! But the term knocking could be my use of english as it is as much a tap as a knock - also it sounds to be coming from the top of the engine as well - Though I took no chances and have left it with Toyota to see what's what just awaiting the dreaded phone call to tell me it'll cost a grand  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

Fair enough. I hope for your sake it isn't the big end either! But the sound does travel and it kinda starts as a "tapping" noise, so definately worth MrT having a good check over. Fingers crossed it isn't anything too serious.........

Keep us posted......

Liz

Isn't the tapping normally the Vee belt tensioner?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Mine tends to go under acceleration. According to what was said above, his doesnt. I could be wrong though.......  s:? :? s:?

aaronjb

I wouldn't discount that idea totally - mine knocked loudly on accelleration when the tensioner went, but it did still knock at idle (most noticable when stopping at MaccyD's..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )..

Coincidentally I'm fairly sure mine started knocking after a long, relatively hard, drive back from Wales..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: