AEM problem

Started by Anonymous, September 20, 2004, 07:55

Anonymous

I purchased my AEM from the USA. Installed according to the instructions, however I was unable to locate what they have shown as VSV for EVAP in my car(Japanese model). Connected balance items blocked extra vacuum tube on the AEM. Started car and it idles OK when I depress throttle it stutters and eventually reaches a max RPM of 4000. Removed air filter and tried again this time it stutters and goes on to redline. Removed all AEM components and replaced factory air filter system, now it works perfectly. Has anyone experienced this, if so how did you remedy problem. Any help will be greately appreciated.

Anonymous

That's happened to me.  It wasn't an AEM though.. I used all oem piping, took out the stock filter and replaced with just a gasket.  With the opening hole right next the filter box I installed a k&n cone filter.  The car did not run correctly, it stutters.

I tried to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a long period of time but it didn't solve the problem.  I then got TRD drop-in and everything works fine.

Anybody have a solution?

Tem

There's a difference between US/UK&EU&JP models...they run into the same issue when installing EU/JP intakes:
 m http://spydermagazine.com/2000/Sept/Apexi/apexi.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Jap GT300

I had an AEM on a J-Spec in the UK which worked fine.  You have to block of the VSV as we don't have it.  Block it off as close to the intake tract as possible.  Your car will then run fine!

Anonymous

I blocked of VSV as suggested but problem is still the same. Since there are very few parts I cant see what I'm overlooking. The instructions dont show the installed article, does anyone have a picture of the unit installed?
Help is appreciated.

ghollis_84

Hi,

I have the Same Problem, but mine is slightly worse. I tried putting the AEM filter on and i experience lack of power and could only reach 5000 RPM, but i have now put th factory air filter back on and i am experiencing the same problem, I think it could be the air flow meter that has broken when changing the filter. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Jap GT300

Start with the MAF, get it cleaned or change it.

Anonymous

Disconnect negative terminal from battery to reset the ECU.  Make sure there are no leaks.  The small hose for the VSV for CCV really has to be plugged.  Having it plugged will not affect performance, but a leak sure would.

ghollis_84

Thanx i will try that and let you no how it goes.

Cheers
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

ghollis_84

Just taken car to Toyota garage, worse problem, the reason i have no power was cause the Cat is blocked.   s:( :( s:(  
Would this have been caused by the induction kit? and when i get it fixed will it go again if i put the Induction kit back on?

Jap GT300

Quote from: "ghollis_84"Just taken car to Toyota garage, worse problem, the reason i have no power was cause the Cat is blocked.   s:( :( s:(  
Would this have been caused by the induction kit? and when i get it fixed will it go again if i put the Induction kit back on?

This won't have been caused by the kit.

I reckon you have some pretty chewed up precats.  Make sure they change your manifold as well!

ghollis_84

If they dont change the manifold too will it happen again.

So it will be ok to fit the kit again after the cat is changed

Jap GT300

The kit wont have caused the problem, although i'm sure some stupid Toyota Mechanic somewhere will try and say it did.

The only thing that could really have clogged the Main cat is the precats in the manifold meaning that they are broken and will clog your cat again.

Worst still the pieces will travel in the other direction inside the engine and blow it up.

ghollis_84

Yep, you where rite garage called me and said that the precat had broken up and gone into the cat, so that was the problem. Thanx for your help.
Pricey aint they.
Cheers

philster_d

Im scared daddy

Tags: