Started by Anonymous, September 27, 2004, 09:55

Anonymous

http://www.ionicsystems.com/cars

Reckon this might work?  It could save hours of Shimmying  if it did[/url]

Darth Paul

Sounds interesting.

Anonymous

Might be worth it for £30,

Although I'm not allowed to use hose pipes at my flat, for just over £500 I can get a pressurised water tank on a trolley with built in filter!

aaronjb

I used to know a guy who swore by washing his (black) car with aquarium water, which I think is much the same stuff as comes out of these filters..

So I'd say it probably does work..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

looks the biz. although i refuse to register just to see the product

Anonymous

ypu can click a guest option just below the log in thing

GSB

I use a similar (if somewhat larger) system at work... The plant I use knocks out about 400 tonnes of the stuff an hour, so theres more than enough left over to wash the car with, and i can assure you, no leather action is nessesary at all. The water is so pure that when it dries off it leaves no trace at all that it was ever there...

Wanna know how it works? OK heres the techy bit...

The water is first filtered of dissolved organic compounds by passing it through an activated carbon filter, the water then passed though Anion and Cation units filled with ion exchange resins. These strip out all the dissolved salts and minerals from the water... The same salts that are left on your car when you rinse it and dont leather it off straightaway..

The ion exchange resins work on the principle that when mineral dissolve in water, they break apart (dissociate) into postive particles (cations), and negative particles (anions)... The exchange resins essentially "swap" these particles for other particles... i.e. The positive particles that leave streaks on your car like potassium , Sodium , Calcuim, or Magnesium get trapped in the resins and are "swapped" for a positive Hydrogen Ion (H+), and the negative particles that also dont do your shiny finish any favours. like sulphate, chloride, silicate, bicarbonate and carbonate get the same treatment, only these get swapped for negative hydroxyl ions (OH-)

The result of all this chemical trickery is that you swap all the crap in the water for 2 other particles, H+ and OH-... The clever bit is this, the H+ and OH- particles combine to make... H20... or in plain english, common or garden water. Only its very pure, demineralised (or deionized) water...

The only problem I can see with this system is this, the resins only last for a limited time before they need regenerating, by rinsing them with Caustic Soda and Hydrochloric Acid.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

We have the same plant in our power house at work. Must try and get the car in to wash in here in future  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  There are four very large demin storage tanks as we use it extensively in our manufacturing process.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: