Buying a tool kit

Started by roger, September 30, 2004, 22:04

roger

A few   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  questions, I am considering upgrading (that should read "replacing") my 30 year old set!

Does the 2 use AF, or is it all metric? Any views on Minimum and maximum sizes required?

Can I get away with 1/4" drive, or should I aim higher?

..ditto.. with 6 point sockets, rather than say, 12?

What are minimum and maximum torque wrench settings, don't want to buy the wrong wrench!

Any other special "normal" tools, wobble extensions or suchlike? I have already noted the O2 sensor socket.

I consider myself an improver, just above starter in the mechanical stakes, so whilst I want the right equipment, I cannot really afford to spend lots on the business (though I would like to). No engine rebuilds or the like though - and this is a new car so Mr T gets to do all the necessary work to keep warranties afloat.

The reason for the questions is that it seems buying a whole set is infinitely cheaper than going peacemeal, but since a happy evening surfing has shown me there is a surfeit of choices out there, I want to makesure I buy what I need.

Thanks for any helpful comments received - if they are not that helpful I accept you are only trying to lighten our lives with comedy.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Go for a reasonable set of Halfords 'Professional' tools - they're a tenth the price of SnapOn, but came second only to SnapOn in a Car Mechanic magazine test (or was it Practical Mechanic, something like that.. a friend reads it, honest guv'nor). Trust me, they're indestructable (mine have been hammered onto rusty exhaust bolts and are still fine!)

All metric, no imperial needed for the '2 or any Japanese car (AFAIK) and 12 point are best IMHO.

Get a decent set of 8mm-19mm 1/2" drive and 3/8" drive, 1/4" drive is for the really tiny stuff.

Two good ratchets - medium sized 3/8" drive one and a larger 1/2" drive one.

A couple of 6" long 1/2" drive extensions, a 3" extension in both drives and wobble joints. Get locking extensions, trust me, you'll appreciate it when they don't drop off and disappear into an unreachable place  s;) ;) s;)

Breaker bar (longest you can get)

And a good torque wrench, one that covers the 'lower' range (40-90lb/ft or so is usual I think, at least I think that's what my small one is) - you'll probably only need a larger one if you want to do crank bolts etc. Don't skimp here (expect £30-50 each for a reasonable one) or you'll just get one that's inaccurate and hard to use.

Get a set of stubby spanners (8mm-19mm) and if you can afford it a set of good ratchet spanners (zero lash, and the smallest angle you can afford, 0deg are best but expensive), they're great knuckle savers  s;) ;) s;)

Hmm.. that should cover just about everything I think..  s:) :) s:)

[edit] That all might be slight overkill if you're only doing occasional things btw  s;) ;) s;)

But having both drive sizes will be very handy if you are planning on doing any exhaust work - a long breaker bar and slow movement is better at unsticking stuck bolts etc, unless you have an impact wrench  s:) :) s:)  IMHO, etc

[/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Cripes thats a lot of stuff

aaronjb

Hey, at least I stopped short of recommending a two post lift..  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

I don't even know what one of those is.

I can program computers like a b*****d though.

mph

Do I hear Christmas just around the corner?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"Do I hear Christmas just around the corner?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

If I write to Santa and ask for a big garage, two post lift, fully plumbed compressor system and a spray booth, do you think that I might actually get it?  s:) :) s:)   s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anyway, back to topic now, naughty Aaron, bad Aaron.

Yep, the list was slight overkill for the casual mechanic, but I do think that a set of both drives (3/8" and 1/2") can be very handy - the 1/2" drive ratchets are usually quite a bit bigger, which is better for undoing sticky nuts.. (ooer!)  s:) :) s:)

Ooh - forgot the one essential thing:

A couple of cans of PlusGas! Don't start anything without some  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

As I start to really delve into the mechanics of working on this car, it becomes apparent that tools are one area in which you do not want to skimp on cost. Don't buy discount tools. Don't try to save money with knock-offs. Buy the best quality you can afford - and if possible, go higher.

Time and again, I'm finding that the cheap ratchet either fails, or breaks outright. The "bargain" sockets just strip nuts. Spent $56 today on one spanner, two 6-pt sockets, and a breaker bar. They got the job done.

GSB

A good starting point is a decent trolley jack, a set of axle stands, and a nice shallow angle pair of ramps... You can at least then get under the car safe in the knowledge that its not going to drop on top of you... After that I'd say you shoud start your toolkit at the basics, and work up as you need it...

I've had my car in bits on so may occasions now that I've lsot count, and yet my main tool is a Sealey 1/2" drive socket set, with a 24" breaker bar. Its got multiple extensions, and I've only fond a couple of awkward nuts that I cant get at with it.

A set of decent combination spanners is also a must, as well as 3 or 4 decent screwdrivers...  

After that, you just end up adding to your j=kit to make the jobs easier for your self. i.e. 1/4" drive socket set and stubby ratchet for working under the dash, cordless solderig iron for electrical jobs. Deep well sockets for awkward nuts. Ratchet spanner for exhaust manifold.... etc. etc.  

As for makes, The halfords stuff seems ok to me, it certainly looks nice, but if you're a tool snob nothing says "amateur" quite like Halfords.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Snap-on is seen by many to be the best, and in many respects it is, but its just to expensive.... My preference is Facom. Same liftime waranty as snap-on, same quality, half the cost....
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

roger

Thanks to you all, I think I will probably not buy the Clarkes 293 piece metric set for £60 - however tempting it might be  s:( :( s:(  

I'll look on the brighter side, and start collecting   s:P :P s:P  

Thanks again
Roger

aaronjb

Quote from: "GSB"As for makes, The halfords stuff seems ok to me, it certainly looks nice, but if you're a tool snob nothing says "amateur" quite like Halfords.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

*cracks Grant around the noggin with a Halfords 9" extension*  s;) ;) s;)   s:P :P s:P   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I forgot about jack stands, trolley jack etc, must admit.. I thought they were a given  s:) :) s:)

There's only one tool I wouldn't buy from Halfords (well, Ok, I have a SnapOn O2 sensor socket as well) and that's ratchet spanners - I have a set, and they're pants.. I really want a set like a friend of mine - proper zero lash, zero degree spanners.. luvverly  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "roger"£60

I reckon if you stick a zero on that, that's probably what I've spent on tools.. and I don't even have a gigantic set (fnarr fnarr) really.. Then again, I have had to buy quite a few 'odd' tools that you wouldn't generally need..

Anonymous

I have an adjustable spanner, a big hammer & a set of screw drivers.

So i would highly recomend buying your mates a drink & let them do the work properly for you. Two of my mates have fully equiped garages & i find the MR2/bike fit in there with zero hassle.      s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

roger

What a wonderful   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

Now, whose going to lend me one of his mates   s:?: :?: s:?:  

roger
Roger

mph

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"... i would highly recomend buying your mates a drink & let them do the work properly for you.
Quote from: "roger"What a wonderful   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

Now, whose going to lend me one of his mates   s:?: :?: s:?:  
markiii is usually stupi.. *cough* amenable enough to help   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: