Head work

Started by LeeUK, October 1, 2004, 18:37

LeeUK

I've read the long post on "180bhp" and was wondering if anyone has  sucessfully had any head work on their engine.

I was thinking of a simple port polish before i fit the dastek unichip.  Rather than the expensive £1000 fensport job i think woodendummy was quoted.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

With the A'pexi intake, H&S exhaust, PPE manifold & hi-flow cat, port polish and dastek I would imagine it would bring me close to 180bhp?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

If you trust yourself with a DA or a Dremel, you can port/polish it yourself.

LeeUK

No not to keen on that as i would have to still skim the head when refitting the head.

Thanks anyway, I didn't know about the DIY route.

Any other views out there on if it is worth it? Where is best to have it done and how much it is likely to cost?
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

mph

While there's bound to be some mileage in doing the work, will be it cost effective? Nah. If you want ultimate cost 'effectiveness', that'd be a Unichip install. But if you have £1,000 (or so) burning a hole in your pocket, better look at this thread.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

LeeUK

If it was a grand I would but that's nearer 2 grand! I'm getting the unichip very soon but wondered if it was worth the bother of port polishing before-hand to get the most out of the engine but if it won't give a decent bhp/£ then I will save myself the bother and money!

Thanks for your advice

Lee
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"Any other views out there on if it is worth it? Where is best to have it done and how much it is likely to cost?

No idea if it's worth it...the first guy to do it will know.

Also no idea about where in UK...but over here a good guy with a flow bench charges some 200 euros for the job. If you go to a tuning shop, then you're looking at some 1000 euros (and they only reroute it to some guy anyway, at least over here)... s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

I will speak to my old man who has a garage and gets a lot of head work done at a top place local to him; it will probably be a very reasonable rate through him. I will also be getting the Unichip so it may be advanteageous to get this done pre if the cost is reasonable  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Jap GT300

F1 at Brands Hatch will do it.  They actually out source to an engineers on the same industrial estate.  Port/Polish will be £500.

TBH I would rather get a fly wheel and short shifter for that money though.  They are the quickest mods!

LeeUK

Is it not a load of hassle fitting a lightened flywheel?  I'd want to fit and uprated clutch at the same time too.  I thought you would have to remove the engine to fit it.... Hope I'm wrong.  If thats the case it maybe worth looking at After I'm Unichipped   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Heath if you could get a price that would be great, might be worth finding a spare head so we are not car-less if we went that route.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"Is it not a load of hassle fitting a lightened flywheel?  I'd want to fit and uprated clutch at the same time too.  I thought you would have to remove the engine to fit it.... Hope I'm wrong.  If thats the case it maybe worth looking at After I'm Unichipped   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Yeah, change the clutch while you're there anyway...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

You can do the "headwork" and I´m sure, you´ll find some HP by doing that (guess about 5-10) but there are a lot of things, you should do first, especially if you still have the stock header.

Best is a good header (TRD is good, but not the best (my opinion)) or you should at least get rid of the pre catalytic converters and do so the same, you want to do at the cylinder head... Otherwise the headwork is nearly useless  s:!: :!: s:!:  Have a look:

bevore:

after:

The intake minfold should also be checkt...

Tags: