LSD

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2004, 08:28

Anonymous

LSD
I am hoping somone can answer a question. I have recently bought an 51 plate SMT and want to know if this model is fitted with an LSD?

Thanks in advance

John

Darth Paul

IIRC all UK cars have LSD.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Quote from: "Darth Paul"IIRC all UK cars have LSD.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Nice to know I've got it, but what is it? Am I looking for a white pill / powder    s:P :P s:P   , or maybe even a thrupenny bit    s:D :D s:D  

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tem

Quote from: "roger"Nice to know I've got it, but what is it? Am I looking for a white pill / powder    s:P :P s:P   , or maybe even a thrupenny bit    s:D :D s:D  

It's a Limited Slip Differential  s;) ;) s;)  Read more about it here:
 m http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm m
(we have the Torsen type)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

roger

Quote from: "Tem"It's a Limited Slip Differential  s;) ;) s;)  Read more about it here:
 m http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm m
(we have the Torsen type)

Thanks. Trouble with all you youngsters, once text messaging started you all write in abbreviation-speak.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"IIRC all UK cars have LSD.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sorry to generate confusion, and I might be wrong, but I thought the LSD was only fitted as part of the 03-Mods.

Anonymous

No in the UK pre-03 had a LSD, although according to top gear it might be slightly different.

darrenjuggins

Tee, Hee - another question......

What about the ones that came from Europe, mine came from Belgium originally, i.e. a Euro import if you want to be technical.

Can I presume mine has / hasn't got one on ? it's a 2000 Manual ?

Can't say i've noticed it, if at all to any extent ? guess it only really comes into play when you are really giving it some ?

any one care to comment ?

Cheers

Darren J    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Darren A. Juggins

Tem

AFAIK, all EU cars have LSD. Since 2000, with SMT/stick, with 5/6 speed.

For some reason Toyota just didn't bother to advertise it before the facelift...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

For a definitive answer to that recurrent question, check the following thread and illustrations (posted on the French MR2 website)

http://www.mr2.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2725

This is where to check (the tacho cover):

Open it up...

If you see this inside, then you DO HAVE A TORSEN LSD  s:D :D s:D

(Please note that these pictures were taken from an "out of the car" gear box... the oil had also been drained out. So be careful when openning in case it leaks 75W90 transmission oil all over the place :p

P.S. According to my books, all European models without any exception were fitted with an LSD. In Japan, the LSD is standard on all but the entry level (basic) model. In the US, most pre '03 models were not fitted with the Torsen LSD.

P.P.S. Torsen (the company who invented and manufactures the famous Torsen Limited Slip Differentials), belongs to Toyota... it's now called the Torsen Toyoda Co. IIRC.

Anonymous

Right find an empty car park, turn you're steering wheel a bit then floor it.  

You should be able to ascertain if you're got a LSD or not.

Tags: