Wheel size - stagger

Started by ash.carr, November 30, 2015, 17:25

ash.carr

Hi folks,

I created an intro thread a moment ago and warned of the impending stupid question - this is all new to me.

I've had a good search around and I think I know, but need to ask a really, really stupid question. Better safe than sorry and all that.

I'm interested in buying these wheels for my PFL '2, and upping from the 15" OEM to 16". I think I'll go with the Falken ZE-914's that I read are currently favorable. The Yokos are a bit expensive if you ask me, and I'm not thinking track here; this is just so I don't die on an A road like I almost did the other week, and can enjoy a B road in the summer.

I think I'm right in saying I'm going to want:
Front: 195/45 R16 26psi
Rear: 215/45 R16 30psi

I thought the profile would need to be 50 on the front to keep the same "pattern" as stock, but I saw a thread where they were flat 45s.

Cheers folks. Gonna try to get the manifold off now.
"I have no idea what I\'m doing"

Jrichards20

Very heavy wheels, with increased size of the front tyre will change the characteristics of the handling, and usually not for the better.

By increasing the front width you will want to lower the profile to match the overall diameter.

Personally would stay away from those wheels and stick to 185s on the front if its not a track car.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Ardent

+1
And you want 32 psi rear

edit.
For what it's worth, I am very happy with the falken 914s. Atrocious conditions on the M1 yesterday afternoon. Heavy rain, standing water etc. They worked very well in indeed.

ash.carr

Quote from: "Jrichards20"Personally would stay away from those wheels and stick to 185s on the front if its not a track car.
185's. Got you. I wasn't sure between the two but should have known as that other thread was track related. I'm tempted to save the cash and keep the OEM ones with some new shoes. They've been refurbed and they don't look half bad to be fair.
Do 16" wheels impact the handling that badly? I got the impression it was ok considering a huge amount of folks in the wheel threads have 16" upwards. I'd expect a difference of course, but I'm unsure how much of a difference.
Reckon a lighter, 15" set would be better then? Example

Quote from: "Ardent"+1
And you want 32 psi rear

edit.
For what it's worth, I am very happy with the falken 914s. Atrocious conditions on the M1 yesterday afternoon. Heavy rain, standing water etc. They worked very well in indeed.
32. Got it, thanks a lot. You're telling me, my stretch of the M1 was utter misery as well. The '2 will be staying in the garage way until the spring I reckon. Nice to hear about the Falkens, that's cemented that one for me.

Jrichards20

16 won't effect the handle so much, but those wheels are heavy compared to oem or decent after market one and they most likely will effect it.
I would save the cash and just get some new shoes on the wheels. OEM wheels are pretty light and if you lower the car a bit can look really good. I would rather spend money on some tein springs to drop the ride height than spend it on wheels that aren't going to benefit. Unless you get light rotas/sp12s/enkei (see meisterR affiliate)

It's all up to you ofcourse and what you want the car for, it's sublime handling or too make it look a little better and reduce a little bit of the handling.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

Ardent

+1 again.

ash.carr

Quote from: "Jrichards20"16 won't effect the handle so much, but those wheels are heavy compared to oem or decent after market one and they most likely will effect it.
I would save the cash and just get some new shoes on the wheels. OEM wheels are pretty light and if you lower the car a bit can look really good. I would rather spend money on some tein springs to drop the ride height than spend it on wheels that aren't going to benefit. Unless you get light rotas/sp12s/enkei (see meisterR affiliate)

It's all up to you ofcourse and what you want the car for, it's sublime handling or too make it look a little better and reduce a little bit of the handling.

Thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreicate it (all of you!) Thats what I'll do then; pop some new tyres on the OEM ones and see if that sorts things out. Agreed on the lowering springs too; it'd be nice to spend the cash on that, since I am conscious that the springs (and shocks) look to be wearing.
Later on down the line I can always keep an eye out for some 15" light ones if I feel the need for something a little different. Handling is the main thing I'm interested in maintaining so I'll avoid heavy wheels.

Ardent

If you are doing springs false economy not to do shocks same time

Tags: