Almost Dead MR2

Started by scottee, December 5, 2004, 18:14

scottee

Well, hello everyone. First off appoligies for not being around for the last few months. My lifes been littered with problems, i've had two deaths in the imeidiate family, and now my gran is in hospital on her last legs with cancer, they aint given her till christmas. Using the PC, anddoing stuff online has been way way down on the bottom of the list  s:( :( s:(

Now just to top off a sucky 2004, I think the MR2 is on its last legs. As some of you know, my MR2 has always sucked oil, about 3 weeks ago, it lost all power, and would barely do 50mph. It turns out the precats (guess where I am going with this  s:( :( s:( ) collapsed and hit the main cat, and blocked it all off. To cut a long story short, I took the car to Prospeed and they fitted a new sports CAT for me, and gutted the remaining pre-cats outta the manifold.

Yesterday, i decided to give it an oil/filter change, and put on some new spark-plugs. All was fine, until one of the guys said my car seemed to be blowing a little bit of black smoke, I figured I had put in a little to much oil. After a 150-round mile trip to Newport to go karting, and then about 50miles today, I had to slam on the brakes and the oil light flashed on for a millisecond then went off.

I drove it VERY slowly home, let it cool down, and checked the oil.... and there was barely any there. The car doesnt seem to be leaking oil or anything. Could I of put in to much oil and blow the oil seal... or could those mashed up pre-cats of caused the dreaded pre-cat failure?

Things can only go onwards and upwards in 2005 I guess, but any advice or help would be greatly appricated

Tem

You could try Valvoline Maxlife...my winter beaters engine was burning regular oil about 1l/500km, but now it hasn't burned any in 2000km with the Valvoline. Doesn't hurt to try.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

This is my first post having just signed on from the USA- so Hello!

An unfortunate aspect of catalytic converter breakdown is that the disintegrated matrix can go both ways; it can be ingested into the cylinders upon deceleration in gear since an actual vacuum is then developed. The ceramic pieces do not bode well for cylinder walls and rings.
My Contour (AKA Mondeo) was recalled and the cat system replaced for this same reason - cheaper to replace the cat than an entire engine!
Good luck with this and I hope 2005 will be better for you!

kanujunkie

Hi Scottee,

havn't got a clue on the car, but good luck on everything man, sounds like you've had a bit of a cr*p time recently and i hope the new year brings you and your family some better times
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

xdesign

I had the same evidence.

You need to have your shortblock changed.

It's not only the precats.

Tags: