Any ideas why I'm getting no sound?

Started by SombreroPeak, June 5, 2016, 20:31

SombreroPeak

So I disconnected the stereo that came with the car to swap it with the Bluetooth enabled Sony. The connectors fit, but I get no power at all.

The Sony came out of a Mercedes if that is important. Any ideas?

[/url][/img]

[/url][/img]
\'N-chilada\' 2003 Chili Red, Black Leather interior

beavisrules

seems OK.
is the larger MR2 connector the 10 pin one?. it should be.
you don't need the other connector plugged in and not sure what it'll do on a mr2(rear speakers, we don't have them.)

here's the wiring colours so you can check the adaptor connects the right things together.
 l viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34988 l

SombreroPeak

Thank you beavisrules, oddly, when I first put it in it worked, although there was no radio, so I took it out and found the aerial adapter still on the old Alpine.  Put that in, and plugged it back together, and since then, nothing...

SombreroPeak

I realise I'm new to this game, and it's got me stumped. My Sony works back in my old car, I've just checked it, but nothing in the MR2. I suspect that the wiring in the car is at fault consequently as I've had to mend two loose connections already. Do I literally have to go through each connection? They all look solid now. Interestingly someone had previously wired in this switch. When working it seemed simply to activate the aerial. Any thoughts? Can I just ignore it and splice the two wires together?

Any other thoughts gratefully received as my drive to work is dull without my tunes.

SombreroPeak

Ok, small brain working overtime. Could it be a blown fuse? If so, where do I look and which fuse do I check? Car came with no manual or any other docs.

Ardent

At least 3 fuse boxes that I know of.

I would hope the one you are looking for is in the cabin area.
Open the passenger door. Look to the side of the glove box and you should a cat flap panel on the end of the dash/centre consol.
Or it could be under the front bonnet(?) cover or near the battery in the engine bay.

SombreroPeak

Aha, so easy to pin point then!  s:) :) s:)  Will grab some spare fuses as I leave tomorrow and spend my lunch hour having a poke about.

jinxedkitten

There is a mod people do that is just adding a switch to put the aerial up and down. The aerial goes up automatically when the head unit is on, even if you are listening to Cd or USB or via aux cable and not radio. Some owners find this annoying/dislike the RC car look it gives/have aerials that don't work, so this switch is a little mod to give you manual control over when the aerial goes up. Therefore, you can happily bypass it, if you don't mind the auto aerial.
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

SombreroPeak

That makes sense, thank you. I think I'll keep it, but try and find somewhere permanent to install it. It's been flopping around loose behind the stereo until now

onion86

Quote from: "jinxedkitten"There is a mod people do that is just adding a switch to put the aerial up and down. The aerial goes up automatically when the head unit is on, even if you are listening to Cd or USB or via aux cable and not radio. Some owners find this annoying/dislike the RC car look it gives/have aerials that don't work, so this switch is a little mod to give you manual control over when the aerial goes up. Therefore, you can happily bypass it, if you don't mind the auto aerial.
I've had 2 different Sony radios and both of these let me enable the 'proper' functionality of the aerial - it goes up when radio is on and is down with any other source - by enabling the 'AF' feature. Worth a try before you put a switch in, especially as you have a Sony.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

jinxedkitten

Quote from: "onion86"
Quote from: "jinxedkitten"There is a mod people do that is just adding a switch to put the aerial up and down. The aerial goes up automatically when the head unit is on, even if you are listening to Cd or USB or via aux cable and not radio. Some owners find this annoying/dislike the RC car look it gives/have aerials that don't work, so this switch is a little mod to give you manual control over when the aerial goes up. Therefore, you can happily bypass it, if you don't mind the auto aerial.
I've had 2 different Sony radios and both of these let me enable the 'proper' functionality of the aerial - it goes up when radio is on and is down with any other source - by enabling the 'AF' feature. Worth a try before you put a switch in, especially as you have a Sony.
I learn something new every day, did not realise the head unit could affect that  s:) :) s:)
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

SombreroPeak

Tonight I went through all the fuse boxes, and of course it was the last one! The one in the passenger compartment side. 15A blown, so swapped it quickly with the Cig Lighter, and it works!

I by-passed the switch and sure enough when in CD mode the aerial doesn't rise! Now to clean up the messy net of wires dangling all over the place behind the unit and poking into the passenger footwell

Ardent

s:D :D s:D   result

Tags: