Disabling Antenna Motor!

Started by psvpilot59, September 16, 2016, 19:09

psvpilot59

My car is a 2003 Facelift SMT. Yesterday I crawled under the dashboard and cut a black wire behind the radio to disable the antenna motor!  This was because the plastic cog on the motor had obviously broken and As such the racket was unbearable!  However this morning I noticed on the instrument panel 3 new symbols?      1) A pic of an engine.  2) TRC off.  3)VSC.   The driver's manual just says 'TAKE TO TOYOTA DEALER'!  Has anyone any idea what the symbols mean?  There has been no mention anywhere in the How tos that cutting that black wire interfered with anything else!  My Radio/CD is the standard factory fitted one.  Can anyone throw any light on this please?

Thankyou

Louis Munday

Barney Bear

I took the drivers side rear bin out and underneath is the plug to disconnect   s:D :D s:D
54 Sable, Air con, hardtop

M.R.

I took off antenna relay. Located under right side rear bin. Later got rid antenna altogether.

Tomo70

I take it that you re jointed the black cable, reset the ecu and the fault requiring return to dealership disappeared? you sure you didn't accidenly cut cable for SMT selection.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

normanh

Thought the aerial wire was blue in the radio loom, having just put a switch inline to stop the aerial popping up when the ignitions on and it works great. I have a feeling that blacks are normally earths!

Norman

mrzwei

Quote from: "psvpilot59"My car is a 2003 Facelift SMT. ....  However this morning I noticed on the instrument panel 3 new symbols?      1) A pic of an engine.  2) TRC off.  3)VSC.   The driver's manual just says 'TAKE TO TOYOTA DEALER'!  Has anyone any idea what the symbols mean?

1) is the engine management light, a code reader should show a fault code, 2) means the traction control is off, 3) means the stability control is off (you have a top of the range SMT with all the toys). I think you can manually switch the traction control on and off which would also affect the stability control but mine was a pre-facelift without the toys so am not 100% sure. If there is no switch then re-join the wire you cut and see if the fault goes away.

EDIT: As said by Tomo!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: