Worth a punt?

Started by smarty72, February 4, 2017, 18:44

smarty72

Facelift car 72k, not serviced since 2011 - approx the last 40k - EML on since then too, which apparently the garage couldn't diagnose.

Worth a look if the price is right, or dismiss out of hand?
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Topdownman

Sounds like a dog!

Unless you are thinking engine swop (and get it cheap enough) I personally cant see any point taking a risk on a car like that.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

smarty72

Quote from: "Topdownman"Sounds like a dog!

Unless you are thinking engine swop (and get it cheap enough) I personally cant see any point taking a risk on a car like that.

If it was in good condition, the engine sounded ok and the price was right, I was thinking it might be worth a risk - going in with my eyes open to the possibility of perhaps needing a bit of an overhaul of the engine.

Irrelevant now, as soon after I started to probe the seller they messaged to say that a friend of one of their children suddenly wanted it - the advert had only been live just over an hour...  maybe I scared them off?

brettfield999

Quote from: "Topdownman"Sounds like a dog!

Noone wants to be wasteful with money but surely the risk is minimal when buying our cars. Cheap to buy, cheap to repair, new and used parts a plenty, cam chain not belt. Surely if if price is right it's worth a look and a punt if the prospective buyer has done their due diligence (HPI and MOT check and a good inspection). Yes the risk is greater but when people say "I only buy a car with good service history" they believe they cannot be buying a "dog" and they are fully protected! We all know that things can go wrong or not be as they seem with any car; FSH is not a warranty!
[strike]2000 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster with 187K, engine blown[/strike]<br />[strike]2000 Blue MRS, 80K[/strike]<br />[strike]2001 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster 131K, 2ZZ,[/strike]<br />[strike]2003 Silver FL MR2 Roadster with 81K now daily driver, 2ZZ by Headcase[/strike]

Topdownman

The fact that our cars are so cheap is the point I guess, you just cant save enough money imo to make buying a car that hasnt seen serviced for more than half its mileage worth it. Thats not even mentioning the EML issue and all the other things that have not been done on it if they didnt even service it.

I am not saying that a FSH is the be all and end all (especially if its just a stamp in the service book), just that a complete lack of it is not the kind of previous owner I would buy from!

If you are looking for a car though I think its best to drive as many as you can because some you will walk away from after even a short drive.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

brettfield999

Quote from: "Topdownman"The fact that our cars are so cheap is the point I guess, you just cant save enough money imo to make buying a car that hasnt seen serviced for more than half its mileage worth it. Thats not even mentioning the EML issue and all the other things that have not been done on it if they didnt even service it.

I am not saying that a FSH is the be all and end all (especially if its just a stamp in the service book), just that a complete lack of it is not the kind of previous owner I would buy from!

If you are looking for a car though I think its best to drive as many as you can because some you will walk away from after even a short drive.

I know what you mean. I think sometimes we have too much stock in service history. As you say it's sometimes just a stamp. I say sometimes it's a £130 oil change and washer fluid topup with some garages! OP: any more deets on the car? Price etc
[strike]2000 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster with 187K, engine blown[/strike]<br />[strike]2000 Blue MRS, 80K[/strike]<br />[strike]2001 Blue PFL MR2 Roadster 131K, 2ZZ,[/strike]<br />[strike]2003 Silver FL MR2 Roadster with 81K now daily driver, 2ZZ by Headcase[/strike]

smarty72

It's no longer for sale, just after I started asking about the service history they said that a friend of their daughters wanted it...

Carolyn

We look after all our own machines. Regular oil and filters, brakes, tyres, clutches.....

No 'stamps in books'.  The service history is only as god as the quality of the service.  Dealer servicing can be rubbish.

Best way is your own thorough inspection and test drive.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

smarty72

Agree entirely, the seller was honest though and had said it hadn't had a service since 2011 - and therefore no serviceable parts changed. The only part that would really bother me (particularly on these cars) was the oil and filter being that old.
They could have just lied and said they had done it themselves, I'm sure there's many that would....

Tags: