Boomslang or splice

Started by Tomo70, March 2, 2017, 22:02

Tomo70

How difficult is it to splice in leads for E manage blue ign and inj or has anybody ever built their own plug and play?
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

shnazzle

Carolyn has  s:) :) s:)  
It's really not even that many wires.
I wonder if it's OK to put connectors on. Makes it easier to revert to stock if needed. Although the instructions say to splice/cut.
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

I'm sure I could get a loom quite cheap to have a play, then all I need to do is get the relevant  leads. I want to try and keep my costs down.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

shnazzle

Does the emanage harness you have have any kind of adapter? Or is it just plug in the Emanage and wires dangling out of the plug?

If I helps, the connectors are fairly standard molex parts you can get online. Then you need the pins to solder onto the wires and click into the connector.
I bet the whole lot would cost no more than 10 quid.
...neutiquam erro.

keeper2611

I'm sure this conversation would be a lot easier to understand if it was in Swedish!
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

shnazzle

Borgy emanageson, smorgeabørd splicing oor cutting. Borgy Borgy pins solder flugenbluben molex connectorson
...neutiquam erro.

keeper2611

Thanks for that Patrick, now as clear as day - I understand completely   s:D :D s:D
2002 Red pfl being slowly modified

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "shnazzle"Borgy emanageson, smorgeabørd splicing oor cutting. Borgy Borgy pins solder flugenbluben molex connectorson

Carolyn

Quote from: "shnazzle"Carolyn has  s:) :) s:)  
It's really not even that many wires.
I wonder if it's OK to put connectors on. Makes it easier to revert to stock if needed. Although the instructions say to splice/cut.

I did do a splicing job, BUT using a harness extension (basically a long socket on one end and plugs on the other).  The advantage is you can do the splicing on the bench, rather than on the car.  You still have to use the pin diagrams and identify all the wires you're going to use, which can be done almost as easily by stripping some of the wrapping back on the harness inside the car and labelling the wires.

I used plug and socket type single connectors (bullets) (not the plastic crimps from the local parts shop, but better ones bought online).  The trick is to be consistent with how you place the male and female bullets.  If you do it right, it's a simple matter to unplug the Emanage and reconnect the harness.  For the splices, I spliced in tails with connectors on the other end.  For the wires you cut into, just get the males and females so they can be easily re-connected.

If you look carefully, the brown wires are the spliced-in tails.

If you're going to do it in the car, I'd take the passenger seat out, to give a more comfortable work space.  It's a bit of a pain compared to a plug and play job, but so much cheaper!!!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

spit

I'm spliced into the stock loom - Boomslangs didn't exist back then!
Its more easy than comfy.
Seat out is very sensible as Carolyn says. And make sure you have a good light source.
If you fancy putting in a little more effort, you can feed the tails through to the engine bay and do it there. Battery out and unclip and disconnect enough gubbins to get you to a nice working position.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tomo70

Cheers for your replies. Think i need to look into making up the extension then splice. Must admit you make it look easy Carolyn.

Tomo70

Quote from: "spit"I'm spliced into the stock loom - Boomslangs didn't exist back then!
Its more easy than comfy.
Seat out is very sensible as Carolyn says. And make sure you have a good light source.
If you fancy putting in a little more effort, you can feed the tails through to the engine bay and do it there. Battery out and unclip and disconnect enough gubbins to get you to a nice working position.

Cheers Spit, i hope to take insperation from your comments. I want to get the summer out of the way i think. Then get on with this next winter.

Tags: