Chassis stiffening- Roll cage/half cage

Started by str160, March 9, 2017, 12:25

str160

Hi all,

Looking at perhaps getting a roll cage or half cage with door bars for my MR2. I want extra chassis stiffness.

I've already got strut braces, tunnel brace, facelift 4 point front lower brace.

What options or suppliers are there for us, as I've not seen many.

Thanks

J03

The Silver Shed - 2zz Rotrex ........  viewtopic.php?f=88&t=53969

hamspeed

Here's my PP full cage - you could go better still and add some additional stiffening plates.

02' Toyota MR2 Roadster Race Car -
Owner @ GarageFiftyNine - Supplier of Automotive parts and accessories | Stainless Steel Manifolds | LED/DRL Fo

JoeCool

That must tighten the car up a treat!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

secla

looked into the ppcages cage from rogue, price seemed quite reasonable but if your paying someone to install it a full welded in cage is the same price, got quote 8 hours labour to fit from rogue which seemed a little extreme to me, if you can weld yourself its a bit more of a reasonable price

hamspeed

Quote from: "secla"looked into the ppcages cage from rogue, price seemed quite reasonable but if your paying someone to install it a full welded in cage is the same price, got quote 8 hours labour to fit from rogue which seemed a little extreme to me, if you can weld yourself its a bit more of a reasonable price
It's the additional work required to the Roadster chassis which is where a lot of the labour goes. There's 4 plates in the floor which need to be cut and welded in, the 4 foot mounts, the plates on the rear bulkhead etc...  

Space is also an issue, the PP is less intrusive and almost better designed for the Roadster compared to the other options available. I'm 5' 11" and it's still not the easiest thing to jump out of (not helped by my seat choice admittedly..!)

02' Toyota MR2 Roadster Race Car -
Owner @ GarageFiftyNine - Supplier of Automotive parts and accessories | Stainless Steel Manifolds | LED/DRL Fo

MilesH

As Hamish says, the PP cage is great, fits well and no issue with scrutineering as it isso well known.

The only reason I didn't go for it was because I am 6ft 3 and the rear diagonal at the back of the drivers seat intrudes slightly on the amount of rear seat space. I had to get a custom one made which worked out at a similar price to the PP cage (plus paying someone to fit it).

P.S. Just remember if you are fitting a cage to comply with the mr2 championship rules and you go for a custom cage you must make sure it has no extra cage bracing to the turrets at the front and rear, as  the rules stipulate a 6 point cage not 8.

str160

Thanks all. Answered my questions.

I want it purely for road use/stiffer chassis. Not sure I need the full works job. Had one before, wasn't a problem, just not really required now.

MilesH

If you're in no rush I may have a half cage for sale in a month or so?

ad_car_08

Quote from: "MilesH"If you're in no rush I may have a half cage for sale in a month or so?

I could be interested in this too Miles  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

ad_car_08

I know this is well over a year now, but i presume you've sold this now Miles?  ;D
[/size]

MilesH

Yes mate sorry.

P.s. I replied on your other thread :)

HFB

Quote from: ad_car_08 on May  4, 2018, 17:31
I know this is well over a year now, but i presume you've sold this now Miles?  ;D

Talk to Steve Norris of Megillian Motorsports in Hull.......he fitted my half cage (chosen specifically because I wanted to keep a working soft top). Very reasonably priced and top work.

He does full cages as well and will give bags of advice.

Top bloke.
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

ad_car_08

Quote from: HFB on June 18, 2018, 22:36
Quote from: ad_car_08 on May  4, 2018, 17:31

Talk to Steve Norris of Megillian Motorsports in Hull.......he fitted my half cage (chosen specifically because I wanted to keep a working soft top). Very reasonably priced and top work.

He does full cages as well and will give bags of advice.

Top bloke.

Got a half cage welded in now, but appreciate the recommendation HFB!  :)
[/size]

MilesH

ad_car_08

Quote from: MilesH on June 29, 2018, 15:37
PPC one Ad?

I went to J P up in Lincoln for a welded in half cage and door bars
[/size]

Bcxbcx

Quote from: ad_car_08 on July  1, 2018, 21:01
PPC one Ad?

Does it include a place for the  latch for the soft top?
Got any photos of it fitted?
2000 W PFL in black

ad_car_08

Quote from: Bcxbcx on July  1, 2018, 22:15
Quote from: ad_car_08 on July  1, 2018, 21:01
PPC one Ad?

Does it include a place for the  latch for the soft top?
Got any photos of it fitted?

I removed and sold my soft top a long time ago, and had been running a permanent hard top bolted in.
Took the car for an hours trip to bromsgrove Sunday without the lid on and baring the half cage for all to see. God it felt good  :)
[/size]

Tags: