Should I buy an MR2?

Started by Anonymous, February 1, 2005, 14:52

Anonymous

sorry if that pic is too big for forum please feel free to remove it. Didn't realise it would be so bit.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Slacey

Pic size seems OK to me... and it's no contest  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

heathstimpson

The 2 just looks so much better that the 5   s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

juansolo

Depends if you want a car that looks like a Boxster or one than looks like an Elan...   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

SimonC_Here

Should have the pic of the Mr2 without the roof though.

S

Anonymous

Don't get me wrong. I have, over the last few years, come round to how the MX5 looks (post facelift ones though) and I don't think it looks that bad. Its "nice" in a "nice" kinda way. But it does look "sporty" to me and the 2 just looks that little bit more purposeful really. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the 2 is any great looker in the overall scheme of things, but it does shout presence and intention to you. And thats what I like.

The 5 in that picture doesn't look half bad though does it?

The picture of the 2 could have been better. Do an image search on Google (there are LOADS) and get a better picture and re-post and you might get a few more posts on this!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

The mr2 definately loks more aggressive doen't it. It also looks far better with the top down than the mx5 does, do you know how long it took me to find a picture of the mx5 looking this good?

Anonymous

How about these two pics then, they give good representations of both cars, i think i know which is going to win this one hands down. The 2 belongs to Paul and are at
http://www.freewebs.com/mr2roadster/index.htm

or

Tem

You really have to see them both in person to say anything  s8) 8) s8)

I could see myself driving both, but obviously I think the '2 is the better one  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Bongo

You don't see the exterior when you're driving - I'd go for the one you enjoy driving the most.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bongo"You don't see the exterior when you're driving - I'd go for the one you enjoy driving the most.

I kinda agree on that. Although, it is nice to get out in the evening after work, look back and admire it. Make you feel all warm inside.........

Cant do that with Kia can you?

Anonymous

MUCH better picture Chris!!! Now, you are not wrong. There really IS only one winner in my mind. The 5 still looks "nice" but there is just a lot more purpose about the 2. It just looks ready for action.

Nice picture!!! Nice car. Right colour too.............  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Bongo

Quote from: "John Woodward"Cant do that with Kia can you?

Nor will you have as much fun driving it  s;) ;) s;)

Personally I think the 2 looks better from some angles and the 5 from others.

The triangular side window on the mx5 (that joins to the windscreen) does look really out of date though.

Anonymous

Visually both cars are good looking.
The MX has that kind of classic look like a modern-ish Spitfire, whilst the 2 is far more modern and sporty looking.

Anonymous

Both cars look great, but to me the '2 is more original and interesting.  Also a lot less common.  

To a tall person like me, there is a far more important difference - I can comfortably fit my head under the roof of an MR2, whereas my head is always touching the roof in an MX5 and I can't drive the thing roof up in a helmet (which is a problem on rainy trackdays!)   Wind noise and buffeting at motorway speeds is WAY less in the MR2 as well.  

BUY AN MR2!

Andy

mrsmr2

How tall are you?  See my comments on the MX-5 fourm this morning where I commented on the lack of space up front.  I'm 6'1" and found it really cramped between the transmission tunnel and the door.  I would not be able to drive the car for long journeys - I regularly do 100 mile commutes in the 2 and have no problems.

I discussed car looks with the owner of the 5 I was driving last night.  I think mine can look fantastic and sometimes it can look ugly.  The 5, to me eyes, looks plain and just doesn't create the same reaction as the 2.

There is a lot more road feel in the 2.  This might be because the 5 I drove had 16" wheels (standard car has 15" AFAIK).  The 2 feels more honed and livelier.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

I am 6'/6'1" also, I noticed something that's annoying about the mx5. If you are too tall your head seems to prtrude above the windscreen with the top down, and can look a little silly at times.

Anonymous

I'm 6'2".  Don't find the MX5 cramped as such, but my head is properly exposed to the wind above the 'screen.  I agree that the '2 has more feedback than the '5 too.  The MX51.8iS (the one to go for IMO, if one MUST buy a new '5) has 16" wheels running 205x16's as standard.

roger

Quote from: "chr15athome"I am 6'/6'1" also, I noticed something that's annoying about the mx5. If you are too tall your head seems to prtrude above the windscreen with the top down, and can look a little silly at times.

Just like the B*W Z5   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "chr15athome"I am 6'/6'1" also, I noticed something that's annoying about the mx5. If you are too tall your head seems to prtrude above the windscreen with the top down, and can look a little silly at times.

Just like the B*W Z5   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Think you mean either Z3 or Z4...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

In pictures, the '2 looks a hell of a lot better than a '5. In the flesh however, it's a far closer call for me.

roger

Quote from: "ekona"Think you mean either Z3 or Z4...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrsmr2

I think the only new cars available from dealers are the special editions.  No 1.8iS.  When I bought my 2 in May, I went to test drive an MX-5 and they told me they couldn't get an iS as production had stopped ready for the new model.  

Also, the only demonstrator they had was a 1.6.  Needless to say I didn't bother with the test drive.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

MX5's always have specials coming out, I think thats how they sell so many,

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"MX5's always have specials coming out, I think thats how they sell so many,

IMO Mazda shift them with big discounts. When I was looking (December 2003) at the MX 1.8 Sport they were offering £13150 plus throwing in the hardtop  s:!: :!: s:!:

Anonymous

Does nyone on here know how much it will cost to have the entire roof replaced for the soft top. trying to work out if it is worth buying a hard top or not as they are very hard to come by. Toyota says that you can't buy them as a extra  only if you are buying a brand new car.

Tags: