Working out length of extended wheel lugs

Started by stevex, July 13, 2017, 14:11

stevex

Hi Chaps,

Just wondered how you would go about working out the extended length required for particular wheels?

Having a bit of a headache looking and trying to find out.

Cheers.

stevex

Not to worry all sorted.

Treboeth

Quote from: "stevex"Not to worry all sorted.

How did you sort it in the end?

Just my curiosity going   s:) :) s:)

stevex

Quote from: "Treboeth"
Quote from: "stevex"Not to worry all sorted.

How did you sort it in the end?

Just my curiosity going   s:) :) s:)

After quite a bit of research the general consensus I found (for most cars not just MR2) is ideally the diameter of the lug should be threaded into the lug nuts. I didn't come up with any fancy calculation, just simply that if changing the wheels, make sure that as close as possible to 12mm is ideally threaded (considering they are m12), if not, switch them out for longer.

Seems to me like you would need at least 6+ full hand turns of a lug nut to be considered safe (I am talking turns by hand before torquing, just starts to touch the wheel)

So very lose rule of thumb, 6+ turns by hand or more on a m12x1.5 should be ok. Any less, work out how much is needed to get 6 turns or more.

1.5 x 6 = 9mm coverage lose by hand + then tightening it down with the wrench, ideally leading to 8 full turns which is 12mm of the thread engaged.

I've read all sorts of crazy things though, people engaging only 1.5 turns, 3 turns, 5 turns, and running cars for years, I certainly wouldn't trust 2 or 3 threads @ 80+ ft lb! Not much room for error if you don't torque one up properly either - bye bye nut...   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

Anyway, I've made my mind up, everyone will have their own opinion / idea I guess, I'm happy as long as I've got 6+ turns, seems reasonable to me, if not add MM's on in 1.5 stacks until your happy with the amount of thread you have to engage.

Treboeth

Thanks Steve   s:) :) s:)  

If it`s wrong someone with more knowledge than me will let you know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

stevex

Quote from: "Treboeth"Thanks Steve   s:) :) s:)  

If it`s wrong someone with more knowledge than me will let you know  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hehe, no probs, seems to make sense to me and I'm happy with it.

Tags: