Effects of additional bracing on revised chassis '04 model?

Started by GSB, February 18, 2005, 20:41

GSB

This is aimed at owners who have late 2004/2005 model MR2's, which have vastly revised chassis bracing as standard, even more so that the additional bracing fitted for the '03 model.

On my old '01 model I fitted an anti-flex plate, and the difference it made to the car was like night and day. The same can be said for the TRD member braces, and the front strut top brace. Fitment of these items dramatically improved the car, and I urge any owners of these earlier cars to fit them straight away, as they are simply one of the best mods you can possibly make... Which was proved to me when I removed them from the old car and effectively destroyed all the poise and finesse it once had. Sure, it still handled really well, but you could tell it was missing that special something.

The TRD member braces dont fit post '03 cars, so I sold them on, but I kept the anti-flex plate and the STB. BUT when I fitted them, they didnt seem to make the blindest bit of difference.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Now, anyone who's looked under a late 2004 car will be shocked at te additional amount of structural steel that Toyota have put into the chassis, but can it really have stiffened up the car so much that the plate and strut brace have no discernable effect?

Granted, I dont think I've had a single 10/10ths driving day since I bought the car, and the stock Yokohama tyres are abyssmal, but I'd have thought I'd be able to feel some difference?

Any other '04 owners care to comment?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

How can I tell if my '04 car has the revised chassis bracing as it was registered last June - I wouldn't recognise the difference with the older model?

GSB

The changes, whch are listed here:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4807 m

were made from Feburary '04 production, so they would have started arriving in the UK at June/July time. The additional chassis bracing is detailed in the post below.

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13924 m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

roger

Mine was first reg 31/5/2004, it has the new bracing.

I noticed a tremendous difference when I fitted the anti-flex breast plate to the (reduced) scuttle shake. The front strut bar I am not so sure. I jumped on the back of an unwanted GB a bit too quick after the breast plate, to get a good feel without it. I am trying to persuade myself it does make a difference - that way the cost is defendable   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Never had the experience of "9.5"/10ths driving before, but the whole car behaved very well at North Weald - when the driver didn't interfere!

Personally I think you can't go wrong adding these extras in, and you are bound to get some advantage, however small. Thats the problem though, is the cost worth it?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Thanks GSB,

I've had a look at mine and it does have the additional bracing.   s:D :D s:D  

I've only driven two 2s, one was a used '03 model, which I test drove (ragged!!!), top down on a glorious July day   s8) 8) s8)  last year and my current car.

I must admit my recollection of the test drive was that the car was softer and less harsh than my own, which I've levied as a small criticism of mine. Alternatively I have just put this down to looking back with rose coloured glasses.

However may be these changes have had a significant effect.

Regards,

Andy

Tags: