US/J-Spec gearbox installed

Started by dieamond, February 21, 2005, 17:50

dieamond

Last week I got my US/Jspec gear box installed

It's like having 30 or 40 hp more in the car, terrific !

I installed at the same time a TRD clutch, flywheel (well flywheel is COne actually) and LSD (clutch type)

I'm crazy about my MR, and want a turbo now (because I want it to be even more an acceleration freak !!)

You UK guys are lucky, you can get a MR-S from Japan with the right gearbox already in, and even the LSD.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

What's the difference then, is it the ratios?

dieamond

yes, 3 and 4th gears are different, plus final ratio is diffferent, increasing acceleration on all gear.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"Last week I got my US/Jspec gear box installed

I'm crazy about my MR, and want a turbo now (because I want it to be even more an acceleration freak !!)

IMHO the longer EU gearing would be better for a turbo...depends a lot from your hp aim of course.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dieamond

the problem with EU gearbox is the hole between 2nd and 3rd gear

Jap GT300

With the J-Spec gearbox your lose about 15mph from the topend though.

I could only push them to around 126-128mph.  You can get to more then 140mph on a UK car.

Tem

Quote from: "dieamond"the problem with EU gearbox is the hole between 2nd and 3rd gear

I know...but it isn't a problem with enough power, is it?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

140 mph, is fast enough for me. unless anyone has a runway I can borrow?. I dont do much motorway driving so, i just like to throw it round corners a little to fast.

Anonymous

I'd be tempted to do this as well. I mean it takes an AGE to get beyond 130~ anyway so the J-Spec box wouldn't make much difference.

Might mean slightly worse consumption on Motorway but that would be easily offset by the acceloration gains imho

What were the gains like mate - i mean how much of a difference is there and how much was it?

dieamond

the weather is awful, so I couldn't really taste the difference

however, the MR now feels like it's overpowered on sliding road, which is new !  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Welcome to the club Dieamond. You will at last be able to keep up with me on track days   s:P :P s:P  

For anyone interested in getting the most performance out of your '2, the answer is to ditch the crappy Euro gear box and put the originally designed C56 transmission back in (or even better, the original 6-speed J-spec gear box!)

For those living in the UK it's a lot easier just to go for a J-Spec MR-S -- you get the right gear box with it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "dieamond"Last week I got my US/Jspec gear box installed

IMHO the longer EU gearing would be better for a turbo...depends a lot from your hp aim of course.

Here's a previous thread on this topic...
http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3916&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And here's the ratio comparison graph...

Anonymous

Why not just go with the Celica TS gearbox?

dieamond

more expensive

I bought my us gearbox $400

Tags: