Unichip and 95 RON

Started by Anonymous, February 25, 2005, 18:03

Anonymous

It doesn't like it much lmao, i wouldn't normally use it but the BP had run out of ultimate nad it was a case of £3 of 95 RON or run out.

GSB

What happened?

Theoretically you should just lose all the extra power you had, with the main ECU detecting knock from the lower octane petrol, and reigning in the ignition advance in very short order. Performance should be restored on your next fill of proper juice...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Interesting course when I spoke with Headley at Millways about using Optimax before getting the Unichip fitted he said not to bother.  To tune the car he says to use normal fuel.  Will know more as I'm getting it fitted on Monday.

LeeUK

Flick the switch  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Reading my destructions it looks like on the premapped ones the switch is used for different ron fuel.

I could be wrong though!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

GSB

Quote from: "Bowman"Interesting course when I spoke with Headley at Millways about using Optimax before getting the Unichip fitted he said not to bother.  To tune the car he says to use normal fuel.  Will know more as I'm getting it fitted on Monday.

I've spoken to him myself and I think what he actually means is that you should map the car that you normally intend to use. If you want to use Optimax permantly then thats fine, he can tune it to get the best performance from that fuel, but if you uses one tank of optimax for your tuning day, and then fill up on something else the rest of the time, expect to be disapointed.

Also, ask him to leave one of the maps on your chip set to zero values. You can then install a switch to select Toyotas stock map, that runs on any old crap you throw in the tank, or your own special map, optimised for Optimax.

Bear in mind though that Shell reckon that optimax is 98 RON, but its only available at shell stations, wheras Super Unleaded that is available everywhere is 97. It may be worth mapping on the slightly lesser fule unless you have no problems with availablity. Personally I plan to map the car on Decent SUL, as Optimax is pain to get locally.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Well when i first re-started the car it seemed to take a little longer to "catch" and idle was rough - this could have been the crap dragged in as i was running on fumes due to looking for super. Can you believe 3 stations had run out :S

Interestingly the power didn't seem massively effected, might be that i just put £3 to get me home and then to nearest super garage?

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"I've spoken to him myself and I think what he actually means is that you should map the car that you normally intend to use. If you want to use Optimax permantly then thats fine, he can tune it to get the best performance from that fuel, but if you uses one tank of optimax for your tuning day, and then fill up on something else the rest of the time, expect to be disapointed.

Also, ask him to leave one of the maps on your chip set to zero values. You can then install a switch to select Toyotas stock map, that runs on any old crap you throw in the tank, or your own special map, optimised for Optimax.

Bear in mind though that Shell reckon that optimax is 98 RON, but its only available at shell stations, wheras Super Unleaded that is available everywhere is 97. It may be worth mapping on the slightly lesser fule unless you have no problems with availablity. Personally I plan to map the car on Decent SUL, as Optimax is pain to get locally.

Agree with you regards the mapping, have the same problem as you regards Shell.  Think I'll have to take the car out at the weekend to use up current fuel and then fill up with SUL providing I can get that easy.  Most local reasonably priced fuel around her is the old supermarket.

Anonymous

Prior to fitting my pre-mapped chip I ran three tanks of optimax through the system and was returning 35 mpg average.

Just filled up after a tank full with the chip and it's 29 mpg!

It's probably like bigun007 said to me, the extra poke it gives you makes you excersise your right foot more.

Anonymous

Map B just has less ignition advance so if you're running normal fuel use this one. If your using Optimax, Super, BP ultimate etc then use Map A. But if you notice power dropping then it's prob better to go with map B all the time regardless of fuel. AFAIK just cos you can't use map A doesn't necessarily mean that your car will be slower than a car that can, just that your car is different due to how the engine tolerance etc stack up.

I'm well impressed with mine anyway  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

So correct me if I'm wrong...

In an ideal world I should have a tank full of super unleaded when I have my chip mapped as this will give me the best result  s:?: :?: s:?:

LeeUK

Yes
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "LeeUK"Yes

...Until you stick normal unleaded in if thats what you normally run on. then you will find the performance go down.

Simon

LeeUK

True but this had no I'll effects to the overall performance of the engine, in other word didn't run rough.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Liz

Quote from: "DavidM"So correct me if I'm wrong...

In an ideal world I should have a tank full of super unleaded when I have my chip mapped as this will give me the best result  s:?: :?: s:?:

When it was mine it was tuned on Optimax which the car was run on all the time anyway, I never put anything else in the car after it was mapped.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

roger

Quote from: "DavidM"So correct me if I'm wrong...

Nearly. Whatever you have in it when its tuned, stick to it. The tuning ensures you get the best performance from the petrol used. I chose Optimax.

You could use Kwiki-Mart 95, but i personally would at least stick to a main stream supplier. I'm not sure if the old adage of supermarkets get it from whichever distributor has the cheapest still applies, but I am not taking the risk.

Not really "risk", I doubt if any would do real harm, but why pay for a mapping, and then get an inferior end result by changing one of the variables?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

For Info:

QuoteGreenergy and Tesco

One of Greenergy's biggest clients is supermarket giant, Tesco. Greenergy have been supplying Tesco with GlobalDiesel since 2003, and now plans to introduce the UK's highest octane unleaded petrol, Super Unleaded 99 Octane. The Super-fuel will be rolled out to over 100 Tesco filling stations in London and the south east by mid November 2005.

The Super Unleaded 99 Octane offers an increased octane level that is higher than any other petrol supplier. It's also more environmentally friendly, and contains a special additive package that enhances engine cleaning, and as a result, delivers further long-term benefits.

Tesco are the first major petrol supplier to offer the most environmentally friendly petrol available in the UK. The fuel is a mix of high quality petrol components, blended to achieve 99 Octane. It includes 5% bioethanol, a renewable but also high-octane product which provides lower emissions of greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"For Info:

QuoteGreenergy and Tesco

One of Greenergy's biggest clients is supermarket giant, Tesco. Greenergy have been supplying Tesco with GlobalDiesel since 2003, and now plans to introduce the UK's highest octane unleaded petrol, Super Unleaded 99 Octane. The Super-fuel will be rolled out to over 100 Tesco filling stations in London and the south east by mid November 2005.

The Super Unleaded 99 Octane offers an increased octane level that is higher than any other petrol supplier. It's also more environmentally friendly, and contains a special additive package that enhances engine cleaning, and as a result, delivers further long-term benefits.

Tesco are the first major petrol supplier to offer the most environmentally friendly petrol available in the UK. The fuel is a mix of high quality petrol components, blended to achieve 99 Octane. It includes 5% bioethanol, a renewable but also high-octane product which provides lower emissions of greenhouse gas and carbon dioxide.
I have been using it for two month now and have been very happy with the results  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I'm using Tesco's super unleaded as well in conjunction with unichip and you can certainly feel a difference from normal fuel

Tags: