The dreaded Hard Top rattle...

Started by Wullie, May 8, 2018, 12:48

Wullie

On my original 2000 kermit my hardtop was slack - I had adjusted the hex bolts as far as I could to give the extra bit of travel, covered the strikers/grip points in hide and then for good measure zip tied the life out of each catch. Even then it wasnt enough to completely eliminate rattle. I appreciate as metal, rubber and plastics age they warp.

On my current MR2 the rattle has crept in again - in no small part due to the shambles of pot crater ridden asphalt (aka Glasgow roads)

I'd rather not be reach for the zip ties just yet in favour of a cleaner aesthetic - anyone have better suggestions? Before I'm lynched I did check the forums-ish!

wotugonado

There's a solution, but you need to take the latches off the Hardtop and shorten the hexagonal adjustment shaft, so that you've got more thread to tighten. There was a how too on here when I first joined about 5 years ago, so not sure if it's still available
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Wullie

Ah got it - makes sense entirely.

Do you recall if all 4 were shortened to spread the stress or was it just in pairs?

I'll hunt around for the guide if its here so thank you for that

wotugonado

It was a while ago tbh,
Iirc the lad did all of them on his, though I reckon the side pillar latches are the ones to do to stop the noise, as its the  rear that's  rubs and clunks right next to your head
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

paulj

Its the summer, so taking the roof off would cure the rattle.

Sorry, couldn't resist that after the great weekend we have had!!!!

Good luck with tracking it down.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: