Rear end...thoughts

Started by mark1307, May 29, 2018, 21:56

mark1307

So i have a Screaming Chicken (black b/g) on the front but I've not changed any badges at the back yet. I've got a selection of TRD badges but was after all your thoughts on which to use and where - if any!!

Keen to get some opinions...
Silver...you know you love it!

StuC

For me, putting a TRD badge on the back would depend what TRD products (if any) are on the car. False advertising if there are none! lol.

Just in terms of aesthetics, if you are keeping the MR2 in the middle, then the smaller trd letters would be best on the bumper.
The rectangular badge, for me, doesn't tie in anything on the back. The red lettering, also doesn't tie in with anything. That's just my 2 pence worth.

It's your car though, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! lol
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mark1307

Quote from: StuC on May 30, 2018, 09:57
For me, putting a TRD badge on the back would depend what TRD products (if any) are on the car. False advertising if there are none! lol.

Just in terms of aesthetics, if you are keeping the MR2 in the middle, then the smaller trd letters would be best on the bumper.
The rectangular badge, for me, doesn't tie in anything on the back. The red lettering, also doesn't tie in with anything. That's just my 2 pence worth.

It's your car though, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! lol

haha I agree on the false advertising... brakes, rear struts and filters are all TRD so I don't feel too much of a fraud!

You're probably right about the smaller badge fitting in best...

Enjay

The problem I have with TRD is that, in my head, it sounds like "tard" which "the kids" use to mean "retard".  Not exactly politically correct, but I can't help hearing it that way.   :-[

All that aside, I do like the smaller badge and I think that it would work well.

Personally, I quite like the clean look simply because our cars are unusual enough that a lot of people don't know what they are and I like the confused look when I tell them it's a Toyota.  Neither of my 2s have the central MR2 - one because it is an MR-S (that badge is not put in the same place as the MR2 one, and the paint shop took all the rear badges off a couple of years back and forgot to put them back on (though I still have them)) and my MR2 was already missing the badge when I got it.  My MR-S has the screaming chicken badge on the front and I'll probably do the same for the MR2 and .  So neither will have any obvious external things that say Toyota.  The small TRD badge instead of anything explicitly saying Toyota would work quite nicely IMO.

mark1307

Quote from: Enjay on May 30, 2018, 10:56
The problem I have with TRD is that, in my head, it sounds like "tard" which "the kids" use to mean "retard".  Not exactly politically correct, but I can't help hearing it that way.   :-[

All that aside, I do like the smaller badge and I think that it would work well.

Personally, I quite like the clean look simply because our cars are unusual enough that a lot of people don't know what they are and I like the confused look when I tell them it's a Toyota.  Neither of my 2s have the central MR2 - one because it is an MR-S (that badge is not put in the same place as the MR2 one, and the paint shop took all the rear badges off a couple of years back and forgot to put them back on (though I still have them)) and my MR2 was already missing the badge when I got it.  My MR-S has the screaming chicken badge on the front and I'll probably do the same for the MR2 and .  So neither will have any obvious external things that say Toyota.  The small TRD badge instead of anything explicitly saying Toyota would work quite nicely IMO.

I'm with you on the confused look it gets...someone (a kid to be fair) asked me what kind of Porsche it was the other day. I said "it's the best kind, a Toyota one..."

I'm thinking about telling the paint shop to leave the badges off (if they ever call to say they've started it) and like you, leaving the MR2 off completely!

Ozzy

Personally, I would debadge it all and go for a clean look. Done so on mine aswell.

If you really want a TRD badge, then I'd suggest you use the red lettering and place it under where the roadster badge is and get rid of all the rest. I've edited some quick pics to give you an idea...

Debadged;

Debadged with red TRD badge;

Stock + TRD badge;

mark1307

Quote from: ossy on May 30, 2018, 11:07
Personally, I would debadge it all and go for a clean look. Done so on mine aswell.

If you really want a TRD badge, then I'd suggest you use the red lettering and place it under where the roadster badge is and get rid of all the rest. I've edited some quick pics to give you an idea...

Debadged;

Debadged with red TRD badge;

Stock + TRD badge;

Nice work... :notworthy: I do like the red TRD badge where you've got it - sits well with the lights

StuC

If that is a like for like sizing, that TRD badge for me is too big for that space. Looks crammed in to me.

If you REALLY wanted the big red TRD ( @Enjay I always read TuRD lol) then I would go central above the centre grille.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Bossworld

I've got the TRD logo (and an unfortunately spelled Toyota Racing Developments) on my wind deflector.  The car's got a TRD gearknob but that's about it lol.  Got the TTE exhaust, rear spats and banana spoiler though.

The only badge I've got is the MR2 one. Personally for me, after a lot of photoshopping, I thought it looked a bit empty with nothing on.

Topdownman

The good news is, you can polish a TRD!

(I like the minmal look myself).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

Go big, or go home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

mark1307

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 30, 2018, 12:31

Go big, or go home...

Not that I am easily influenced but where did you get that from?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: mark1307 on May 30, 2018, 12:38

Go big, or go home...

That I can't help you with at the moment, it was a present from my petrol head son and the only reason I fitted it really.
I would assume ebay though.
I applied it like a clown so it might be getting replaced with another of the same.

mark1307

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 30, 2018, 12:44

Go big, or go home...

That I can't help you with at the moment, it was a present from my petrol head son and the only reason I fitted it really.
I applied it like a clown so it might be getting replaced with another of the same.

Looks good though even if you think it's fitted badly. I was thinking I'd definitely need someone else with me so i get it central and level!!

wotugonado

The trd  badge in the top right of your picture is it plastic or metal? I ordered what I thought was metal but turned out to be plastic, and it hasn't weathered well at all, paint has come off and i now have a flaky chrome finish, if it's plastic I wouldnt bother.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

mark1307

Quote from: wotugonado on May 30, 2018, 13:29
The trd  badge in the top right of your picture is it plastic or metal? I ordered what I thought was metal but turned out to be plastic, and it hasn't weathered well at all, paint has come off and i now have a flaky chrome finish, if it's plastic I wouldnt bother.

Yeah i was worried about it being plastic because it was only about £4 and didn't say what it was made from...luckily it's metal though so should cope with the Yorkshire weather!!

Beachbum957

I go with the debadge, which is what we did with our 2002.  No stickers, no logos, just the simple JDM Midship Runabout  badge on the front.  Unless a person recognizes the car as an MR2 or looks inside and sees the "cowboy hat" steering wheel badge, they don't know what it is.  Even a salesman at a local Toyota dealer had no idea what it was. 

Leave them guessing.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: mark1307 on May 30, 2018, 13:10

Go big, or go home...

Looks good though even if you think it's fitted badly. I was thinking I'd definitely need someone else with me so i get it central and level!!
Cheers. I didn't read up beforehand and know you could use lubricant with a self adhesive one so there's way too many air bubbles behind it.
And my windscreen surround keeps shrinking back away from it, looks ok from a distance though..[emoji23]

Chilli Girl

I just don't get it, never have, never will.  I'm proud of my rear badges, letting others know what I'm in.  What's wrong with Toyota's? Just sayin ;). Anyway, each to their own but my rear is staying put!  :-\
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

mark1307

Quote from: Beachbum957 on May 30, 2018, 13:35
I go with the debadge, which is what we did with our 2002.  No stickers, no logos, just the simple JDM Midship Runabout  badge on the front.  Unless a person recognizes the car as an MR2 or looks inside and sees the "cowboy hat" steering wheel badge, they don't know what it is.  Even a salesman at a local Toyota dealer had no idea what it was. 

Leave them guessing.

Haha I'm waiting for the midship steering wheel badge to arrive! Last cowboy hats will then just be the wheels but midship centre caps look to cost about £100 - I definitely have better things to spend £100 on her first!!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Chilli Girl on May 30, 2018, 13:41
I just don't get it, never have, never will.  I'm proud of my rear badges, letting others know what I'm in.  What's wrong with Toyota's? Just sayin ;). Anyway, each to their own but my rear is staying put!  :-\
+1

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 30, 2018, 13:40
Quote from: mark1307 on May 30, 2018, 13:10

Go big, or go home...

Cheers. I didn't read up beforehand and know you could use lubricant with a self adhesive one so there's way too many air bubbles behind it.
And my windscreen surround keeps shrinking back away from it, looks ok from a distance though..[emoji23]

Amazingly so does the yellow mr2 [emoji23] .

Midlife will get it we've seen it in the flesh

MisterK

As already said - each to their own.

I personally love my rear  ;) & it looks even better now with the rear spats from the full Toyota GB Body kit.  My only concession to TRD is a seat belt protector pad with TRD written on it, so as far as I'm concerned that's good enough to warrant the badge!!!

MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Ozzy

I'm guessing this works the same way as applying window tints then. If you're gonna do it again, I'd recommend getting a squirt spray bottle and some Johnsons Baby Shampoo (ordinary yellow one)... Trust me on this lol.

Pour small amount of shampoo in the bottle and fill/mix with water. Soak the hell out of the window and the sunstrip. Place it on and slightly rub and push the sunstrip around. This will make the glue all slippery so you can easily place it where you want and can lift it off if needed. Just make sure it's kept wet. Then simply take out the bubbles with a squeegee or a card wrapped in a microfiber cloth.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ossy on May 30, 2018, 19:26

I'm guessing this works the same way as applying window tints then. If you're gonna do it again, I'd recommend getting a squirt spray bottle and some Johnsons Baby Shampoo (ordinary yellow one)... Trust me on this lol.

Pour small amount of shampoo in the bottle and fill/mix with water. Soak the hell out of the window and the sunstrip. Place it on and slightly rub and push the sunstrip around. This will make the glue all slippery so you can easily place it where you want and can lift it off if needed. Just make sure it's kept wet. Then simply take out the bubbles with a squeegee or a card wrapped in a microfiber cloth.
Yeah, I'd seen it done with other vinyls but always assumed they were the adhesive free ones, just imagined the soap destroying the adhesive so banged it on dry!

Tags: